View previous topic | View next topic

Eugeroics

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Flash
160169.  Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote

What do eugeroic drugs do to you?

F: Make you huge, make you heroic

A: Keep you awake. The idea is that they will eventually allow you to dispense with sleep altogether.

s: So Far, So Near by ... Mat Coward.

What, Mat, you weren't going to tell us? You thought maybe we just wouldn't notice?

MatC
160260.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote

No-one ever reads any of my books - just my luck that Flash is the kind of weirdo who has to read entire public libraries from C-B ... now all the good E stuff I was planning to keep from you is at risk, curse it!

MatC
160262.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote

Here's an explanation of the word:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-eug1.htm

MatC
160268.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote

And click here for a good, more general article

Quote:
Scientists understand how the drugs work only broadly

Oooh, that is so comforting! Drugs based on not-very-well-understood science are going to be effectively compulsory within a few years; whoopee!

Flash
160303.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote

That's great. For the notes; that article lists Napoleon, Edison and Churchill amongst people who supposedly needed very little sleep. Thatcher is often mentioned in this connection also, and I think I've seen somewhere that Mussolini left the lights on in his office to give the impression to passers-by that he was working late at night (which might be true for all I know, though it sounds to me like black propaganda).

Who else?

eggshaped
160305.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote

Are all these little-sleep people genuine? I must admit that my mythometer is aroused when a large number of similar people throughout history are ascribed with the same unusual condition.

Flash
160310.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote

I agree, though I suppose it is possible that having this condition would tend to make one more productive and therefore more likely to be remembered by posterity. A friend of mine used to be Thatcher's secretary; I'll check with her.

I forgot to list Peter the Great. I don't know anyone who worked with him, though.

MatC
160312.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote

I agree with egg - though I suppose Flash's cause and effect argument makes sense, too. But it does sound like good propaganda: "Fear not, your leader never sleeps: he guards over you always."

eggshaped
160313.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote

I reckon that Thatcher probably didn't sleep very much just before elections etc, when under pressure with a lot of work to do. We all do that.

Then I didn't work for her, so I'd probably trust your friend over my skepticism.

MatC
160316.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
That's great. For the notes; that article lists Napoleon, Edison and Churchill amongst people who supposedly needed very little sleep. Thatcher is often mentioned in this connection also, and I think I've seen somewhere that Mussolini left the lights on in his office to give the impression to passers-by that he was working late at night (which might be true for all I know, though it sounds to me like black propaganda).

Who else?

Link to Elephants at post 159615

Flash
160321.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote

Very good - just to put it up in lights (because we're looking for ways to get elephants in everywhere), Mat's referring to the fact that elephants also have a 3-hour-a-night sleep thing going on.

MatC
160323.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Link to Elephants

Not that I'm obsessed or anything.

MatC
172529.  Mon May 07, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Scientists have discovered how to promote deep sleep in way that may mean that a siesta replaces a full eight hours' sleep a night.
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have found [a way] to stimulate the slow waves typical of deep sleep at the flick of a switch which sends the harmless magnetic pulse through the skulls of sleeping volunteers, they report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

- DailyTelegraph

O brave new world ...

dr.bob
172619.  Tue May 08, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote

Judge Dredd has been using sleep machines for years to get eight hours' sleep in a few minutes.

s: my collection of 2000ADs

(I can't believe the Telegraph didn't mention that in their article!)

MatC
172630.  Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote

I'll bet that's where the University of FortyWincs got the idea, though.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next