View previous topic | View next topic

Aeschylus and the Tortoise

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jaster
657077.  Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote

Aeschylus's death is not mentioned (except that he died in Sicily) in any contemporary source, the Greeks knew about and loved irony and would have mentioned such an ironic death , I suspect that it was a story made up long after ....

OggTheClever
711660.  Fri May 21, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote

*cough*smallgods*cough*

brunel
711872.  Sat May 22, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Jaster wrote:
Aeschylus's death is not mentioned (except that he died in Sicily) in any contemporary source, the Greeks knew about and loved irony and would have mentioned such an ironic death , I suspect that it was a story made up long after ....

I would strongly suspect that to be the case too.
It is said that this particular vulture has attacked modern day rock climbers, though, by dropping bones and rocks on them from high, so perhaps someone took one story and grafted it onto the other...

marjan
861327.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote

It's "traditional", meaning that for all we know it's not even remotely true but there's no real way to prove it one way or another. We're talking about a period where basically the *only* thing we know about these folks is the literature they left behind. I don't believe there's any actual evidence that Socrates existed anywhere outside of Plato's mind. Given that, I don't think this particular legend can ever rise above "undetermined" status.
If it helps at all, the Greeks seem to be all about making up stupid deaths for famous people or else famous people died in some weird ways. Chrysippus, for instance, supposedly died of laughter after watching a donkey try to eat figs. I'm not sure what's uproariously funny about that, but these are people who thought that rocks fell to the ground because they wanted to return to their native earth. Just sayin'.

Last edited by marjan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 am; edited 2 times in total

tetsabb
861379.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote

brunel wrote:
It is said that this particular vulture has attacked modern day rock climbers,

Blimey, that is one old vulture!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2