View previous topic | View next topic

Eugenics/Galton

Page 1 of 1

Bunter
152615.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote

From Eggshaped in DVD forum. Better used here.

Q: Francis Galton was the father of Eugenics and cousin to Charles Darwin, what did he do with a “pricker” he kept in his pocket?

A: He measured the attractiveness of girls he passed in the street

Francis Galton was an inventor, explorer, statistician, anthropologist and one of the great Victorian innovators Galton admirably took “Whenever you can, count.” as his motto, but his infamy was unfortunately ensured by his coining of the term eugenics.

Galton would walk around cities in Britain, checking out the ladies and playing with something in his pocket. This was not perversion but science, as concealed in the man’s pocket was a device he called a “pricker,” This item consisted of a needle mounted on a thimble and a cross-shaped piece of paper, and by pricking holes in different parts of the paper, he could surreptitiously record his rating of a female passer-by’s appearance. After many months of wielding his pricker and tallying the results, he drew a “beauty map” of the British Isles. London proved the most beautiful city in Britain, Aberdeen was the most repellant.

According to Justin P:
Quote:
Wilson 'Snowflake' Bentley (1865-1931), the father of photomicrography, also compiled a catalogue of the smiles of pretty girls. He is more famous however for being the first man to photograph snowflakes close up. His snowflake catalogue is still available. Sadly the same can't be said fore his catalogue of pretty girl smiles.

Question: According to Galton’s memoirs: when exploring Africa, why did he turn down the offer of King Nangoro’s niece as “wife for the night”?

Answer: She was smeared with butter and he didn’t want to get his nice white suit greasy

Galton’s expeditions were much revered in Victorian England, and his books on how to survive the African bush were extremely popular. In his “Memories of My Life” he told the story of his encounter with King Nangoro, a tribal ruler locally reputed to be “the fattest man in the world.”

Quote:
Quote:
I have reason to believe that I deeply wounded his pride by the non - acceptance of his niece as, I presume, a temporary wife. I found her installed in my tent … raddled with red ochre and butter, and as capable of leaving a mark on anything she touched as a well - inked printer's roller. I was dressed in my one well-preserved suit of white linen, so I had her ejected with scant ceremony.

eggshaped
152622.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, Dan had a load of stuff on Galton, such as putting shutters in his hat so that his brain didn't overheat.

I agree that he could be a good subject for a question, a stunningly interesting man, who, like Dampier in the last series, is virtually unknown to the general public.

MatC
152630.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

The current issue of Postcript has for sale at £6-99 a biog of Galton, called "Extreme measures".

www.psbooks.co.uk

eggshaped
160221.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote

Question: Who was the first country to sterilise those who it considered of inferior breeding?

Answer: The USA

The modern version of eugenics was formulated by Charles Darwin’s cousin, Francis Galton, who took Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection to the seemingly obvious next step, that the human race would be improved through selective breeding. Galton had formulated his threories by 1865 and less than 50 years the first law allowing sterilization on eugenic grounds came into force in Indiana in 1907. Between 1907 and 1981 at least 60,000 americans were sterilized against their will.

The law targeted virtually any human shortcoming that was believed to be hereditary, including mental illness, mental retardation, epilepsy, alcoholism and criminal behavior. Even people deemed to be "ne'er-do-wells" were sometimes targeted. California sterilized 9,782 individuals, mostly women. Many were classified as "bad girls," diagnosed as "passionate," "oversexed" or "sexually wayward." At Sonoma, some women were sterilized because of what was deemed an abnormally large clitoris or labia.

Many countries had similar programs, most notably Canada and Sweden (who sterilized a larger percentage of its citizens than anyone else) and of course Germany. There is a well held opinion that German ethnic cleansing had its roots in America’s compulsory sterilization, the Germans borrowed a lot of their 1933 Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Defective Offspring from the model sterilization law drawn up for the various states by Harry H. Laughlin.

link1

link2

wiki

link4

eggshaped
160222.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote

Question: What was the problem with the idea of a sperm bank containing only Nobel Prize winners' sperm?

Answer: Old sperm doesn't freeze well

The Repository for Germinal Choice was a sperm bank containing only deposits from brilliant men, created by American millionaire Robert Klark Graham in the 1970s. (Inventor of shatterproof glasses)

Q. He initially convinced three Nobel Laureates to donate, including the notorious racist William Shockley. But elderly sperm - albeit eminent - was not good for freezing, so he decided to cast the net wider.

"There were so many recipients wanting sperm and there was so little sperm, never enough sperm," says former staff member Julianna McKillop.

link

Flash
160319.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote

The other e-link here is evolution, of course.

brackett
160324.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote

I did have a fair bit on Galton. I'll try and dig it up.

I've also got a great biog and travel guide book by him. I'll try and find some good new stuff.

Flash
160329.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote

Dan - that was a very well-timed appearance on your part. Have you been secretly monitoring our every move, or were your ears just burning?

MatC
160331.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
There were so many recipients wanting sperm and there was so little sperm, never enough sperm," says former staff member Julianna McKillop.

Germaine Greer knows all about that:

Andrew Denton: You said that one of the things that attracts you about boys was "semen that runs like tap water."

Germaine Greer: That's not such a bad idea, is it girls?

(FAINT AUDIENCE LAUGHTER)

- http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s946782.htm

Frederick The Monk
160332.  Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:
From Eggshaped in DVD forum. Better used here.

Q: Francis Galton was the father of Eugenics and cousin to Charles Darwin, what did he do with a “pricker” he kept in his pocket?

A: He measured the attractiveness of girls he passed in the street

Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley (1865 – 1931), the first man to photograph individual snowflakes, also compiled an extensive catalogue of photographs of 'The Smiles of Pretty Girls".

Page 1 of 1