View previous topic | View next topic

Ethnicity

Page 1 of 1

Vitali
158376.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Ethnicity/Italian-Speaking Aborigines

The Dampier Peninsular, the remote coastal wilderness area of Cape Leveque on the shores of the Beagle Bay is home to unique Italian-speaking Lombadina Aboriginal Community, near Broome (Western Australia, about 4 hours drive from Perth). There is an exquisite Pearl Shell Altar in a church built in 1918 by Pallotine Monks.
Lombadina was first settled in the late 1890's by Thomas Puertiollano who sold the land to the Catholic Church. The name "Lombadina" was originally a mispronunciation of the Aboriginal word "Lullmardinard" by the priests and brothers who settled there.

Western Australia is also the location of the Spanish town of Nea Norcia, inhabited and owned by Franciscan monks. The town boasts of Spanish colonial architecture and Australia's second-best picture gallery.

Own research

DELETED
158392.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

Jenny
158398.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Link to Little Tich and his Big Boots maybe?

DELETED
158400.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

dr.bob
158595.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote

Vitali wrote:
The Dampier Peninsular, the remote coastal wilderness area of Cape Leveque on the shores of the Beagle Bay is home to unique Italian-speaking Lombadina Aboriginal Community, near Broome (Western Australia, about 4 hours drive from Perth).

Do you have a reference for the fact that they speak italian?

I've dug around a bit on 'tinterweb and can't find any reference to it. This article, for instance:
http://www.nicolermurphy.com/djarindjinlombadina/index.asp

is written by someone who stayed at the community, but never once mentions them speaking italian. I'd've thought it would be unusual enough to warrant a mention (unless they just assume everyone knows it already)

Vitali
158856.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote

A close friend of mine visited the aboriginal community in question and, yes, they do speak Italian. Also, one of the ads on the web (in English) says that a tour of the community is conducted by "an Italian-speaking guide".

eggshaped
159072.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote

I wrote an e-mail to the Lombadina Aboriginal Adventures, this was my reply:

Quote:
Hi James,

Italian is definitely not our main language and no we don't speak it all,
our language is Bard (Native language of our people)
Hope this helps

Regards

Jillian Hunter
Senior Admin Officer

Erm, I wonder if I had the right Aboriginal Community? They give their address as:

Lombadina Community
Dampierland Peninsular
PO Box 372, BROOME 6725
WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Flash
159080.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote

How do you say "that's shot our fox" in Bard, do you suppose?

MatC
159121.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
How do you say "that's shot our fox" in Bard, do you suppose?

Would Esperanto do?

Page 1 of 1