View previous topic | View next topic

Ethiopia, geology of (including moving mountain)

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
157726.  Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote

Ethiopia will one day become an island.

Africa is on the verge of breaking into two pieces, one part containing Ethiopia and Eritrea and the other part containing everywhere else, in between will be the African Ocean where the Red Sea is now. We’re talking about a million years before it happens, but that’s quite quick in geological terms, and part of the movement can already be seen after an earthquake last year produced a lesion in Ethiopia 60km-long and 8m wide; enough magma has flowed up into the rift beneath the crack to cover Greater London in rock 1 meter deep.

The reason Ethiopia will end up as an island is that it is on the Arabian plate, while the rest of the continent is on the African plate.

50 million years ago Heart Mountain in NW USA moved 62 miles in half an hour due to a liquid layer of lava and water which accumulated under the ground. It is the same mechanism that some claim will cause mountains in the canary islands to move in the future causing a huge Tsunami which could engulf the Eastern Sea Board.

source
source
sourcity source
Moving mountain

Flash
157766.  Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote

I think Heart Mountain is the key to this one - we make the point about how a million years is a short time on the geological scale, and then cut to the mountain moving at 120mph.

Maybe the context is the research which indicates that mountains can be created more quickly than was thought: 13 million years instead of 40 million in the case of western Norway, for example: http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050713_mountain_building.html

Quote:
Hensen and his colleagues studied the geology of the Southern Caledonides in western Norway. A continental collision occurred there some 425 million years ago, causing certain rocks to be buried to depths of 36 miles (60 kilometers). These rocks have since returned to the surface, where glaciers have ground and polished them.

The researchers found that the time between burial and resurfacing -- called the orogenic cycle -- took 13 million years, instead of some 40 million years as previously thought. The implication is that the mountains themselves grow up faster than expected....

The study was detailed in the June 30 (2005) edition of the journal Nature

DELETED
158218.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

DELETED

eggshaped
158280.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote

If on September 22nd next year an object moves one fifth of a tril­lionth of a mil­li­me­ter with no external forces, then it could mean the end of the dark matter argument.

source

Flash
158286.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote

That's great. The issue is that they want to test Newton's 2nd law on an object which has near-zero acceleration vs the centre of the galaxy:

Quote:
Be­cause Earth spins, rotates and or­bits in var­i­ous ways, its mo­tion over­all would pre­clude tests of the idea. But Ig­natiev cal­cu­lat­ed that twice year­ly, there are two points on the sur­face where all such mo­tions can­cel out, put­ting these spots mo­men­tar­i­ly at near-zero ac­cel­er­a­tion with re­spect to the gal­axy cen­ter.

The events would take place near the equi­nox dates, two days in the fall and spring when the day is the same length as the night. The lo­ca­tions would dif­fer year by year. On Sept. 22 of next year, they would lie in north­ern Green­land and across the globe in Ant­arc­
t­ca. .

DELETED
158289.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote

DELETED

MatC
158332.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote

Thank ghod you reminded me! I’ve been meaning to post that up for weeks, under the Equinox heading. Or Eggs, obviously. Or Easter. Thank you ...

MYTHCONCEPTIONS: THE EQUINOX EGGS by Mat Coward.

THE BACKGROUND: It's impossible to make a raw egg stand or spin on end - other than on one magical day of the year. In the USA, it seems, this is a Well-Known Fact, annually demonstrated on TV, and even taught in schools. One suggested explanation is that only on the day (or the very hour, some say) of the Spring Equinox (also the Autumn Equinox, in some versions) does the sun's gravity "line up" with that of the earth.

THE "TRUTH": Spinning raw eggs is never easy - but then nothing that is really worthwhile in life ever is, right? I am pleased to report, however, that rigorous experimental work has been done on this matter, which concluded that the success or otherwise of your egg erection efforts depends not on the calendar, but on the viscosity of the individual egg's innards, the surface upon which the egg is spun, and whether or not you've got the DTs.

SOURCES: FT reader Dave Sacerdote of Connecticut became aware of this story in the 1980s, and noted the obvious mythological connection between eggs and springtime. He steered me towards a superbly sceptical website <http://smart.net/~badastro/bad/egg_spin.html> which in turn has a link to the Science Alliance.

DISCLAIMER: Truth can never be contained within a single shell. If you have eggformation to add, don't brood on it - hatch it out and throw it at FT.

DELETED
158340.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Jenny
158346.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote

Re: moving mountains - a nice little factoid from a friend of mine who is a professor of geology and who lives and does her research in Greece.

Quote:
Which mountain was originally enveloped in Earth's mantle?

Mount Olympos in Greece is formed of rocks deposited along the coast of ancient Africa. These were trapped between a plate tectonic collision between Africa and Europe, and pushed down below the European continent to a depth of 35 km. Being of lighter material than surrounding rocks, Olympos arose from these depths, and with the aid of regional tectonism today is the highest mountain in Greece, rising nearly 10,000 feet directly from the Aegean.

MatC
158372.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote

It's the opposite, isn't it? Science finds expected untruth in folklore, I mean.

DELETED
158386.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

MatC
158485.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Oh, yes ... how splendid!

DELETED
158760.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Frederick The Monk
158845.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote

Garrick's moving mountains and Jenny's pop-up Olympos would tie up nicely with Molly's supercontinents.

Jenny
158889.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote

According to Hesiod in The Theogeny, written about 700 BC, as soon as Earth formed, its sole intent was to provide a basis for the foundation of Olympos, destined as the abode of the future holy gods. I offer this in case it's relevant to the pop-up Olympos.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next