View previous topic | View next topic

The End

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Frederick The Monk
156808.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote

I'm just back from a couple of days skipping through the fields of interestingness, collecting gems for the Endings show. I think I've harvested most things on the forum from grisly ends to enemas to the ends of the earth but if you have any favourites could you post a link here.

Anyone know any suprising endings to books? Things that ended before they started? Unusual forms of euthanasia (although that's a tricky subject to be light-hearted about)? Excellent executions? or some definitive proof as to when I might reaonably expect the End of the World.

God Bless you all.

Fred

Flash
156819.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote

Some ways to diversify your subject matter whilst staying within the brief, maybe?

Making ends meet (Economics)
Burning the candle at both ends (Energetic people)
The East End

eggshaped
156821.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote

The only thing I found even remotely interesting about Eastenders was that when a survey was done about a new soap, Southerners said that they would like a soap in the South, wouln't mind one in the North, but didn't want one in the midlands. Northerners said that they would like a soap in the North, wouln't mind one in the South, but didn't want one in the midlands. Midlanders said they didn't mind where the new soap was, as long as it wasn't in the midlands.

S: Eastenders, The official Story

Flash
156822.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

Clive Anderson is likely to do a couple of shows, and did a radio show called The End is Nigh ... Again at New Year, so will know all about alternative theories for how the World might end (maybe a question like Where will it all end?).

The possibilities he covered were:

1) Climate Change
2) Pandemic (links to Epidemiology thread)
3) A re-created virus (the idea is that we may have eradicated the smallpox virus in the wild, but the genetic sequence has been published so it could be artificially created by somebody)
4) Nuclear war/accident (links to the stuff about losing A-bombs)
5) Supervolcano (eg Yellowstone)
6) Asteroid impact
and, best of all:
7) Super-symmetry (a hypothetical possibility, in which a spherical wave of jelly expands at light speed through the universe. When it sets, the laws of physics change - atoms disintegrate, light becomes heavy, and the universe ends).

Jenny
156826.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote

Can we wangle entropy into endings somewhere? Thinking of Flanders and Swann and the first and second law of thermodynamics:

Quote:

Heat is work and work's a curse
And all the heat in the universe
Is gonna cool down,
'Cos it can't increase
Then there'll be no more work
And there'll be perfect peace
Really?
Yeah, that's entropy, Man.

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/anotherhat_first.html

Flash
156833.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote

Yes, I wondered about entropy, too - not sure how to play it, though. Might be better as a note rather than a question.

On the endings of novels, the term "the end of A Sentimental Journey" used to be a euphemism. The Sterne story ends with a long dash which I don't have on my keyboard, so I'll do a double hyphen: "--", thus:

Quote:
But the fille de chambre hearing there were words between us, and fearing that hostilities would ensue in course, had crept silently out of her closet, and it being totally dark, had stolen so close to our beds, that she had got herself into the narrow passage which separated them, and had advanced so far up as to be in a line betwixt her mistress and me: -

So that when I stretch’d out my hand I caught hold of the fille de chambre’s --

Flash
156835.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote

Molly's post 156830:

Quote:
Louis Quilico, a Canadian baritone who was starring in Rigoletto in Chile in 1970 - he sung, the audience watched on admiringly and a pigeon feather circled down from the rafters. As it approached, the singer threw back his head in song, swallowed the feather and fainted. That was the end of the opera for that night.

eggshaped
156836.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote

I don't want to alarm anyone, but:

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

I mean, activity at the supervolcano in Yellowstone has been increasing lately.

Quote:

Data shows that the caldera floor sank 4.4 inches from 1987 until 1995. From 1995 until 2000, the northwest rim of the caldera rose about 3 inches, followed by another 1.4-inch rise until 2003. Then between 2000 and 2003, the caldera floor sank a little more than an inch.

And then from 2004 to 2006 the central caldera floor rose faster than ever, springing up nearly 7 inches during the three-year span.

source

Jenny
156846.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Hey it's OK for you lot - I'm 3000 miles nearer than you are.

Flash
156856.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Q: How did Thomas Austin wipe out one-eighth of all the mammalian species in Australia?
A: He introduced rabbits.

Rabbits were introduced into the wild in Australia by Thomas Austin, who brought 24 of them over from England in 1859, saying "The introduction of a few rabbits could do little harm and might provide a touch of home, in addition to a spot of hunting". 40 years later they were everywhere including, as it turned out, the wrong side of the rabbit-proof fence. It is believed that one eighth of all native mammalian species as well as many plants have been driven to extinction by the rabbit infestation.

Not sheep, though. There are 123 million sheep in Australia.

Jenny
156860.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Which were also introduced...

Flash
156882.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Fred, look at the site Mat found which proposes ways of destroying the Earth: post 145916.

Frederick The Monk
157076.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote

Splendid, splendid. I think there should be plenty of material eschatological and otherwise. I'm expecting the Pocket Guide to the Apocalype to drop through my door any moment so that should provide some more ammo too.

Promsiing stories to date from these pages include:

A bust of Lenin at the Ends of the Earth and link to Equators and the point furthest from the centre of the earth
How to spot the Apocalypse
How to make the Apocalypse happen if you can't wait
Near miss apocalypses - Palomares
Executions and Ethiopian Electric Chairs
Extinctions and Ecological disasters (parachuting cats and trembling sea mats)
Funeral customs (Stripping)
Elderly endings (in Haslemere)
The End of the British Empire (or not)
Enemas (concrete)
The End of the Edelweiss Pirates
Explosive endings (William the Conqueror and termites)

By the way, does anyone know where the East End ends?

Jenny
157142.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

Fred have you seen this website? http://www.raptureready.com/

Sadly, they are actually serious.

Jenny
157145.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote

As part of the above, welcome to The Rapture Index, which they describe as:

Quote:
the Dow Jones Industrial Average of end time activity...The higher the number, the faster we're moving towards the occurrence of pre-tribulation rapture.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next