View previous topic | View next topic

Cyprus

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

grimwig
156402.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote

Have just read on Wiki that Cyprus is twinned with Bedfordshire. Has there ever been another occasion when the twinning has involved such contrasting area sizes! One of our smallest counties with an entire Republic.

Mulvil
156539.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Can you verify it other than wikipedia though?

I know we've established wikipedia to be mostly accurate but I still like other verification because it is not difficult to edit a wikipedia page

Hans Mof
156548.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Someone asked for a source?

http://www.twinning.org.uk/uk_twinnings.htm

Mulvil
156559.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I am rather impressed

Ejob
156561.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I think I can top that: The Hague (Dutch city) is twinned with Suriname (South American country).

I would be interested to learn the origin of the relation between Bedfordshire en Cyprus.

grimwig
157049.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote

Interesting; and no I don't know any Cypriot link; I do know that Bedford itself has one of the most diverse ethnic cultures in the country, hence links with Germany, Italy and Poland I think.

BondiTram
157189.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote

grimwig wrote:
Interesting; and no I don't know any Cypriot link; I do know that Bedford itself has one of the most diverse ethnic cultures in the country, hence links with Germany, Italy and Poland I think.

Indeed. When the world was much younger I used to lodge with a family in Bedford. Father Polish, spoke some English but hardly any Italian. Mother Italian, spoke some English but hardly any Polish. 3 kids totally fluent in all three and are probably working at the UN as we speak as instantaneous translaters. :-)

themoog
157265.  Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote

The tiny (and it is very small) hamlet of Whitwell in Rutland is twinned with Paris - The Paris, in France - sort of, although Paris might not realise it. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitwell,_Rutland

eggshaped
214000.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quote

Has anyone got a source for the Hague-Suriname twinning?

Hans Mof
214013.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote

Translated fromDutch

Quote:
On 14 December 2002, the city council of The Hague and the gouvernment of Suriname have agreed on a co-operation accord. Aim of this accord is the development of activities to assist the exchange in the areas of knowledge, art, culture and sport. In adddition schools and welfare organisations are stimulated to collaborate.

http://www.denhaag.nl/smartsite.html?id=7641
official city's website

smiley_face
214016.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote

A Google search of "hague suriname twinned" brings up this webpage. :-P

This gives the following:

Quote:
De leerlingen van groep zeven van de Petrus Dondersschool doen dit jaar mee met het Twinning Project. Aan dit project werken veertien Surinaamse en veertien Haagse scholen mee.

Twinning richt zich op het stimuleren van informatie-uitwisseling tussen Suriname en Nederland en wil een impuls geven aan ICT-onderwijs. Leerlingen maken met elkaar een Twinningkrant, die onder meer wordt gepubliceerd op de Haagse Onderwijs Portal.

That seems to mention Suriname and the Netherlands, and also mentions the Hague in a couple of places, as well as twinning, but I could be getting entirely the wrong end of the stick. Mr. Mof should be around to translate though.

smiley_face
214018.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

Oh well, it would appear that Mr. Mof beat me to it. :-(

Hans Mof
214023.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote

smiley_face's text refers to a school project. 14 Suriname and 14 Hague schools are working on a twinning-news paper.

Tas
214028.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote

I think our esteemed Mr S. Fry should endorse www.twinning.org.uk. 'twould be most amusing.

:-)

Tas

smiley_face
214029.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
smiley_face's text refers to a school project. 14 Suriname and 14 Hague schools are working on a twinning-news paper.

Oh. :-(

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next