View previous topic | View next topic

Pigs 2

Page 1 of 1

TimWalden
671445.  Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote

Is it safe to feed pigs avocadoes?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado#Toxicity_to_animals)

I work in a fruit and veg shop and give waste fruit and veg to a pig lady, who feeds it to her pigs.

Having read the Wikipedia article above, is it safe to feed pigs avocadoes?

It is just the fruit: the skin, flesh and stone; no leaves or bark, but sometimes there is the last 5mm or so of an end-of-a-twig at the top of the avocado.

Jenny
671616.  Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Looking at that article, it looks as if the skin and the stone should not be fed to animals - it's less clear about the flesh. The linked ASPCA article says:

The ASPCA wrote:
Clinical Signs: Horses: Poisonings can occur when avocado groves are used as pastures, or pruned branches become accessible. The leaves, seeds fruit and bark are likely all toxic. Clinical effects occur mainly in mares, and includes noninfectious mastitis, as well as occasional gastritis and colic. Cattle: inflammation of the mammary glands, decreased milk production. Rabbits: inflammation of the mammary glands, decreased milk production, difficulty breathing, fluid around heart, heart rhythm problems, death. Goats: inflammation of the mammary glands, decreased milk production, difficulty breathing, fluid around heart, heart rhythm problems, death. Birds: difficulty breathing, fluid around heart, heart rhythm problems, death. Dogs, cats: vomiting, diarrhea.

However, this does not mention pigs at all, and pigs are more similar to humans in their food requirements than most other animals, as they are omnivores as humans are.

If I were the one in charge of the pigs, I might risk feeding them the flesh but probably wouldn't give them the skins or stones, on the grounds that I wouldn't eat those either.

Page 1 of 1