View previous topic | View next topic

Woodlouse

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

samivel
220627.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes, Neo, you can be over-generous.

;)

ali
220649.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Assel by Paul Klee.

hassan el kebir
645940.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

My ex-wife, who is cornish, always called woodlice 'grammersows' or possibly 'gammersows', I can't remember which now, it's too long ago.

I have vague memories of reading that they were the only crustaceans that spent all their life on dry land...........unless of course you count the ones that get washed down the plughole.

The brown ones with silvery dots on them are rather jolly. I can't remember seeing any of any variety since I moved to Egypt but then again, we don't seem to have house spiders here either, I guess the geckos do their job on the fly eating front and thankfully they don't spin webs though they do poo in the bath.

sorry, I'll try not to ramble too much :-)

Spud McLaren
645946.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
I saw a sign in a shop the other day that advertised 'dices'.
Was it an extreme sports shop advertising "dices with death"? Although that should perhaps be "dicings with death"...

Sorry, woodlice are just woodlice around these parts.

bemahan
645948.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

Sorry, woodlice are just woodlice around these parts.

You have woodlice around your parts, Spud? I'm sure you can get cream for that, you know.

Spud McLaren
645950.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
You have woodlice around your parts, Spud? I'm sure you can get cream for that, you know.
Well, if you've got wood...

Sorry, that was entirely uncalled-for (and untrue).

bemahan
645951.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I'm just glad you didn't do the 'tumbleweed' thing on my very weak joke!

Spud McLaren
645954.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote

You can rely on me!

Somebody has to dep for Sad Mike - you're doing a sterling job.

bemahan
645956.  Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote

*goes pink with chuffedness*

No pressure, then!

Starfish13
646082.  Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:

I think the name 'slater' for the woodlouse might have come first, hence Ligia is the sea slater and Asellus is the water slater.

It has probably become obsolete everywhere except Glasgow.

Nope. They're slaters or slaterios in north east Scotland too. Sea-slaters are sea-slaters, and the little sand-hopper (Talitrus saltator) things that jump about on the strandline are called sea-loupers.

Jenny
646171.  Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote

Gammersows seems like a possible name - woodlice are known as sow bugs or pill bugs in the US, and 'gammer' is an archaic term for 'grandma'.

According to this website they are also called 'tiggyhogs', which I think is a rather sweet name.

bemahan
646211.  Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote

I know a family who call them "owchoogoes" because their mum, when she saw a woodlouse in the house, would pick it up and chuck it outside saying "Out you go!"

Zebra57
651159.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Woodlice had gigantic relatives in prehistoric times called Trilobites sorry but I know nothing about their urinary habits

pawpaw
700865.  Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote

In Somerset we always called them Billy Bakers. This was a real source of hillarity to my North Devon boyfriend, whose name for them (Chiggy pigs) is equally so to me. My East Anglian family all just call them Piggy Beetles.

Why so many names? A woodlouse by any other word would be as freaky.

pawpaw
700867.  Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Here are some more British names I just found on Flikr off all places:

Granny Greys, Chessy Bugs, Billy Buttons, Bibble Bugs, Curd Worms, Toggy Hogs, Shoe Laces, Sink Lice, Cheese Logs, Parson Pigs, Leatherjackets, Gramfy Groogers, Chuggy Pigs, Woodpigs, Peaballs, Grammarsows, Gramfers, Monkeypeas and Coffin Cutters.

Leatherjackets I understand, bu Gramfy Groogers?!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next