View previous topic | View next topic

Woodlouse

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tas
156051.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote

Being an habitual player of boardgames and role-playing games (of the paper and pencil variety, as well as online MMORPGS) I hate people saying "Pass me a dice." Any who do so should be put to death....well...put to pain, immediately.

:-)

Tas

BondiTram
157199.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:

Unlike most Pedants you have a well developed sense of humour.

Phew! Thank goodness I saw the 2nd 'u' in that last word. Could have been dangerous.

gerontius grumpus
157236.  Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote

King of Quok wrote:
gerontius grumpus wrote:
The sea slater Ligia oceanica is another relative of the woodlouse, it lives in the splash zone on rocky shores and can grow surprisingly large, about 2.5 cm.

Yes, that's what I've always known as a slater, hence my confusion over my Glaswegian friend referring to his terrestrial relative Porcellio scaber as a slater.

I think the name 'slater' for the woodlouse might have come first, hence Ligia is the sea slater and Asellus is the water slater.

It has probably become obsolete everywhere except Glasgow.

kimagi
160858.  Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I have a kind of phobia of woodlice. I am not so much scared of them as disgusted by them. Contact with them or anything they have touched (including people) brings on an OCD style washing frenzy. I have read that the woodlouse gives off highly concentrated amonia and I wonder if that somehow triggers my phobia,I am not scared of any other creepy crawly type thing.

I've come over all peculiar, I'm off to wash my hands.

Hans Mof
161891.  Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote

Woodlice don't pee. Nitrogen compounds leave the body through the exoskeleton by means of evaporation.

In Dutch the woodlouse is called pissebed. This, however, is not due to its unusual excretion method but its medical use in olden days. Pissebed derives from 'piss in 't bed' (I believe no translation is required). In the 16th century woodlice were used (i.e. consumed) to stimulate urinating. I'm not sure whether this use was exclusive to the Netherlands. The names pill bug and pea (pee?) bug could refer to a similar practice in England.

For some time the Dutch woodlouse had to share it's name with the dandelion. The plant, now better known as paardenbloem (horse flower), was used, just as its animal namesake, to increase urination. Similar names can be found in different languages.

English: pissabed
French: pissenlit
Spanish: meacamas
Flemish Dutch: piesbloem

Dandelion root is a registered drug in Canada, sold as a diuretic.

Shellymouse
177439.  Thu May 24, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote

In Kent they're known as Monkey-Peas.

Ameena
177740.  Thu May 24, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Except for in my house where they're known as "woodlice" ;).

samivel
177764.  Thu May 24, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Always the unconventional at Ameena's. I believe that the accepted term for a chair at her house is 'chair'.

:)

cpl_trim
190723.  Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I think woodlice are more interesting than just a bunch of names

Without the aid of a Google safety net heres a few things i think I *know* about them

1. They have blue blood
2. A woodlouse can drink through its anus
(It is a primitive animal as most creatures that claim blue blood have learned to talk through theirs)
3. It is Copraphagous
4. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall claims they taste of prawns when fried

I will now prepare to become lexicophagous (if it doesn's exist it should) as the zoologists descend

Corvus
201930.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote

I always called them 'curly bakers'
I've tried to find where the name 'baker' comes from (as i wasn't the only one to call them that) but no one seems to know!

Lumpo31
219276.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Woodlice don't pee. Nitrogen compounds leave the body through the exoskeleton by means of evaporation.

In Dutch the woodlouse is called pissebed. This, however, is not due to its unusual excretion method but its medical use in olden days. Pissebed derives from 'piss in 't bed' (I believe no translation is required). In the 16th century woodlice were used (i.e. consumed) to stimulate urinating. I'm not sure whether this use was exclusive to the Netherlands. The names pill bug and pea (pee?) bug could refer to a similar practice in England.

For some time the Dutch woodlouse had to share it's name with the dandelion. The plant, now better known as paardenbloem (horse flower), was used, just as its animal namesake, to increase urination. Similar names can be found in different languages.

Dandelion root is a registered drug in Canada, sold as a diuretic.

All this is brilliant! In Australia (at the very least, in my family), Dandelions are called "wet-the-beds", not because of their diuretic properties, but because, legend has it, the very act of picking the flowers causes the picker to wet the bed. It's nice to know where this has come from.

Lisa

Tas
220602.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Just to ressurect this, but looking at the Flemish Dutch word, I am struck by it's similarity to Peasblossom (the name of one of the characters in Bill S's A Midsummer Nights' Dream). Is that a folksie name for a dandelion or similar, then?

:-)

Tas

Neotenic
220620.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote

For some reason, I have just been struck with this burning question.

How much wood would a woodlouse louse if a woodlouse could louse wood?

Just felt the need to share.

samivel
220627.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes, Neo, you can be over-generous.

;)

ali
220649.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Assel by Paul Klee.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next