View previous topic | View next topic

Adverts

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hippi926840
176595.  Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote

you know the got milk? advertising campaign wanted to spread its wings and expand into more countries.
i don't know which country had this but evidently, when translating 'got milk' into another language (i think it was mexico or puerto rico) it ended up being

'Are you lactating?'

wonderful translators nowadays.

mikeyfone
176609.  Tue May 22, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:
Probably the most cunning campaign in recent times was the yorkie "its not for girls one" I know girls who bought yorkies just because they actually could and I knew guys who bought them to annoy girls who disliked the ads.

Also the ads were funny enought to be talked about for a while afterwards.

New army ration packs have yorkie bars in them.

They say 'Not for civvies'.

Flash
176616.  Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote

hippi926840 wrote:
wonderful translators nowadays

Seems harsh, though, to dismiss an entire profession on the basis that one of them may have made a mistake that we can't remember any of the details of. Particularly when a quick google makes it apparent that the offending campaign isn't run in Latino communities, for the reason you suggest amongst others.

AlmondFacialBar
177210.  Wed May 23, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote

what you need to add to a tv commcercial to make it good/ successful? stephen, it appears. i never ever bought twinings tea before that blasted advertising campaign. got lucky that the stuff is actually nice i guess...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

mikeyfone
177211.  Wed May 23, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Fat Cat wrote:

Are all of the adverts where the lip sync is way out made like that on purpose? I'm thinking of the one where the air freshener in the toilet has run out when the little boy visits. There was also one about a strawberry lollipop (can't remember the name). Actually, as I can't remember the name of either product, it obviously doesn't work!

I think the problem is that some adverts are used for several countries, just dubbed over. Some adverts are clearly aimed at Americans, and others just don't look British.

Maeve
201659.  Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote

The injury lawyers 4u advert causes me actual physical pain. Do they really think it fills people with the desire to come to them?

'yorz
790142.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote

"I was born a handsome man but now 'm half a goat".
Yea? What's new? Join the rest of the (ginormous) flock.

<and no, I'm not a man-hater>

Sadurian Mike
790230.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Humour and a catchy tube or catchphrase have to be the winners here.

If it is an annoying advert then it might be remembered, but not in a way that encourages you to buy the product. I actively avoid anything whose advert has annoyed me and I remember it, so in my case, an annoying advert does not help sell the product.

This goes for fairly pedantic things as well. I now avoid the AA (the car one - I'm not yet ready for the other) because their advert uses the phrase "24/7", which I don't like.

Sadurian Mike
790231.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

A goat-hater?

CB27
790272.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote

My local kebab shop has a goat heater

Ainee
790274.  Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Humour and a catchy tube or catchphrase have to be the winners here.

This goes for fairly pedantic things as well. I now avoid the AA (the car one - I'm not yet ready for the other) because their advert uses the phrase "24/7", which I don't like.

Why don't you like 24/7? It is such a useful phrase. It saves so many long explanations.

From a 24/7 Mother, Former 24/7 Carer, with a handy 24/7 shop within easy reach.

Ainee
Edited to add 'Former', with some glee.

'yorz
790349.  Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote

I don't like it, either - just laziness. Round the clock? Open all hours?
Full-time?

9/11 really riles me, not in the last place because I know it was September and I say November. And because you start to forget which year it was. I was surprised that it already was the 10 year anniversary, coz you hardly ever hear '2001'.

CB27
790431.  Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote

I remember in Two And A Half Men there was a bit when the boy kept saying something was 31, it turned out he meant 24/7 :)

'yorz
790452.  Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote

There you go. See what I mean?

Spud McLaren
790578.  Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
'yorz wrote:

A goat-hater?
But...but...

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next