View previous topic | View next topic

Adverts

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

King of Quok
155676.  Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Yeah, I kinda like the "Hate something, change something, hate something, change something, make something betterrrrr!" song on one of the Honda (I think) adverts. And the bunnies and stuff are kinda cute...and it's all pretty and colourful. There was an online game of it too, on some website - you were a bunny and had to hop around and whack all the icky smelly machine thingys with your giant mallet which turned them into nice pretty flowers and stuff (and played the song) :P.

It's the voice of Garrison Keiler, apparently, the American author responsible for the Lake Wobegone books.

swot
155798.  Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Irritation. As the sixty-plus pages of this thread amply demonstrates.

Irritation makes the ad more memorable, but I'm not sure if it encourages you to buy anything. If an irritating advert comes on, it's very likely that the offending advert will be switched off extremely quickly. I heard the insufferable Autoglass advert FOUR TIMES within the space of an hour this morning. It didn't make me want to buy windscreens, it made me want to injure the peole responsible for it.

Hummingbird
155857.  Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote

A catch phrase. If you can get people quoting your advertisment you stay in the memory for a long time. The best adverts in the world use that device. Probably..........

Tas
155863.  Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote

I agree with Swot. I hate radio adverts. Especially the one on Virgin every five frickin' minutes for SKOI broadband/telly/telephone. Why can't the annoying twat say "SKY"????

(Also, I find it ironic that Virgin radio carries ads for Sky, given all the recent ruckus).

:-)

Tas

Mulvil
155905.  Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote

I find annoying adds to be best because people talk about them more often

Fat Cat
156099.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote

Hummingbird wrote:
A catch phrase. If you can get people quoting your advertisment you stay in the memory for a long time. The best adverts in the world use that device. Probably..........

I agree, a catch phrase or a memorable image, song etc.

Shell logo, "Just for the taste of it", "Dah dah da da daaah, I'm lovin it" etc.

Are all of the adverts where the lip sync is way out made like that on purpose? I'm thinking of the one where the air freshener in the toilet has run out when the little boy visits. There was also one about a strawberry lollipop (can't remember the name). Actually, as I can't remember the name of either product, it obviously doesn't work!

jaygeemack
156118.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote

I can still remember the jingle from the 60s Esso advert. Altogether, now ...

"The Esso sign means happy motoring (x3)
So call at the Esso sign, for Esso Extra."

My father always added Redex to the petrol tank. What was it and what purpose did it serve?

Sand
156122.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
My father always added Redex to the petrol tank. What was it and what purpose did it serve?

Answer:
Quote:
Cleans and lubricates carburettors and cylinders, when used regularly

Hummingbird
156147.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote

I have seen the Ferrero Rocher advert described as "the worst ever" yet they have been running the advert for years. They wouldn't do that if it was unsuccessful. The shelves of Woolworths are packed with those little nutty treats. I think people like being able to laugh at the cheesy ads and feel superior. The catch phrase "With these...you are spoiling us" has passed into popular culture.

The product? Well, its not amazing is it? It's a thin layer of cheap chocolate wrapped around some sort of inexpensive wafery stuff with nutty, creamy stuff inside. I got my first pack to see what they were actually like. They are nice enough to get you hooked and in the hind brain the suggestion that they are a "treat" lingers. Altogether a very cunning campaign.

Mulvil
156167.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

Probably the most cunning campaign in recent times was the yorkie "its not for girls one" I know girls who bought yorkies just because they actually could and I knew guys who bought them to annoy girls who disliked the ads.

Also the ads were funny enought to be talked about for a while afterwards.

Izzardesque
156341.  Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote

And Yorkies are just plain great.

barbados
156350.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote

I could never eat a whole one though.

At least not in one sitting ;-))

hippi926840
176595.  Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote

you know the got milk? advertising campaign wanted to spread its wings and expand into more countries.
i don't know which country had this but evidently, when translating 'got milk' into another language (i think it was mexico or puerto rico) it ended up being

'Are you lactating?'

wonderful translators nowadays.

mikeyfone
176609.  Tue May 22, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:
Probably the most cunning campaign in recent times was the yorkie "its not for girls one" I know girls who bought yorkies just because they actually could and I knew guys who bought them to annoy girls who disliked the ads.

Also the ads were funny enought to be talked about for a while afterwards.

New army ration packs have yorkie bars in them.

They say 'Not for civvies'.

Flash
176616.  Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote

hippi926840 wrote:
wonderful translators nowadays

Seems harsh, though, to dismiss an entire profession on the basis that one of them may have made a mistake that we can't remember any of the details of. Particularly when a quick google makes it apparent that the offending campaign isn't run in Latino communities, for the reason you suggest amongst others.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next