View previous topic | View next topic

Exploration: Space

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Flash
163731.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Maybe that's a multiple choice question (I've been wondering about putting a few MCQs under the topic "Exams") like this:

How far did Sunita Williams run in the 2007 Boston Marathon?

a) 0 miles
b) 30 miles (or whatever it is)
c) 50,000 miles

F: b)

eggshaped
165577.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote

Not sure where this fits, maybe it's an outro to the exploration show?

Anyway, Gagarin ejected from Vostok1 and floated to earth in a bright orange space suit, white helmet and parachute - and landed beside a peasant farmer and his daughter who were a little bit shocked to say the least. Gagarin said:

Quote:
don't be afraid, I am a Soviet like you, who has descended from space and I must find a telephone to call Moscow!

link

Frederick The Monk
165625.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:

.....Gagarin ejected from Vostok1 and floated to earth in a bright orange space suit

In fact all the Vostok cosmonauts ejected at around 7 km as landing in the capsule was considered too dangerous. This was kept secret for many years as the rules of the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (which is the international record keeper and standards setting body for space flight) stated that the pilot must land with his craft to qualify for the record books.

I suppose that this technically means that Gagarin was not the first man in space - at least not according to the French.

Vostok ejectors
FAI
FAI site

Frederick The Monk
165627.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote

Just checked with the FAI - they did indeed initially refuse to recognise Garagin's flight when they discovered he ejected but then relented. Initially they certified the flight as the Russians fibbed about the landing.

I love bureaucracy me.

Last edited by Frederick The Monk on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Frederick The Monk
165631.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote

In 1962 they also announced that John Glenn's four hour flight held the record for length of time in space despite Gherman S. Titov's one day space mission as they had found out that he ejected.

Vostok 2

eggshaped
167201.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
NASA has official procedures for dealing with a suicidal or psychotic astronauts in space. The astronaut's crewmates should bind his wrists and ankles with duct tape

The whole duct-tape killing warts thing has been supposedly debunked.

Quote:
"After six weeks, the warts of eight children (16 percent) in the duct tape group and the warts of three children (6 percent) in the placebo group had disappeared," the researchers wrote in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

They said this difference was not statistically significant.

In addition, some of the children who wore duct tape reported itching, rashes and other effects, although none of the children who wore corn pads did.

The Dutch researchers said that Focht's team did not actually examine their patients to determine if the warts had disappeared, but called them on the telephone to ask.

Not the best study ever, but worth keeping an eye on. Have we ever claimed that duck tape cures warts?

link

Jenny
167320.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote

post 166653 is a picture of a customs form supposedly signed by Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts after returning from their moon-landing trip. I am not 100% convinced this is real, but it's a good story if it is.

Frederick The Monk
167353.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote

I think it's a customs declaration for entering the US via Hawaii which is fair enough as they splashed down in international waters in the Pacific.

Jenny
167356.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote

Well Hawaii is part of the US, but if you read the form it says their flight routing went from Cape Kennedy via the Moon to Honolulu. At least this presumably means they acknowledge that the moon isn't actually American territory.

Frederick The Monk
167386.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote

Interesting point - should the US ever claim to own all or part of the Moon on the grounds that they got there first, their own immigration records will disprove the claim. Splendid.

lizzie
169023.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote

I have found an image of some suits that were designed to aid those attempting to have sex in space. Link below - might this be of interest at all?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14002908/

dr.bob
169028.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote

There have been no confirmed cases of people having sex in space, but people have definitely had sex in zero gravity on board the Vomit Comet.

I don't believe they used those suits.

lizzie
169029.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote

I don't think they've been used either but the design is pretty amusing. If you'd like me to try and get hold of the image, let me know.

Flash
169084.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote

The image on that page doesn't seem all that clear to me - not sure it'd do the trick. The idea's good, though - is there a better version?

lizzie
169248.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

I'm emailing the woman (Vanna Bonta) who designed it now, so I will ask her if she has anything else.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next