View previous topic | View next topic

Liechtenstein

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Hans Mof
154404.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote

Liechtenstein is a small principality landlocked by Switzerland and Austria. With an area of 160.4 sqkm it is only slightly bigger than the London Borough of Bromley.

Worldwide, Liechtenstein has the highest GDP per capita (€80,9000).

Liechtenstein is the only country to have German as it's only oficial language.

Women's right to vote was introduced no sooner than 1984.

Even though Liechtenstein has no own military force (the army has been abolished in 1886) compulsory military service is integrated in the principality's constitution.

Liechtenstein's National Anthem is 'Oben am jungen Rhein' sung to the tune of 'God save the Queen/King'.

Hans Mof
154405.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote

Liechtenstein has been mentioned earlier on this forums:

National Anthem post 94294

Liechtenstein as the sole remaining polity of the Holy Roman Empire post 123866

Swiss army invasion post 154090

suze
154542.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote

It's also doubly landlocked (ie not only has it no coastline, but neither do any of the countries it borders). The only other country in the world to be so is Uzbekistan.

The monarch of Liechtenstein, Prince Hans-Adam II, awarded himself almost feudal powers in 2003. He got this measure through a referendum by the delightfully grown-up trick of saying he would decamp to Austria otherwise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2853991.stm

He is actually Swiss not Liechtensteiner and his wife (also his cousin) is a Czech noblewoman, so it seems that the old traditions of European royalty are alive and well.

What's more, the Liechtensteiner royal house may soon have a claim to the thrones of England and Scotland. The "official" Jacobite pretender these days is one Franz, Duke of Bavaria - who is a life long bachelor in his 70s. Upon his death, the claim will pass to his younger brother Max, Duke in Bavaria (sic). Max has no sons but has five daughters and the oldest of them, Princess Sophie, is married to Hans-Adam's heir Prince Alois.

That couple's oldest son, Prince Joseph Wenzel (currently aged 11), will thus ultimately inherit the crown of Liechtenstein, the Jacobite claim to the English and Scottish thrones, and under some claims the throne of Greece as well. What's more, he was born in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Joseph_Wenzel_of_Liechtenstein

Oh, and you can hire Liechtenstein by the hour - suitable for weddings, bar mitzvahs etc. Maybe, at any rate - I've found a few blog posts which claim that this is so, but their links to proper news sources (one to CNN and one to the New York Times) don't work.

[Forum went down when I tried to post this a bit ago, so I hope I remembered it correctly.]

dr.bob
154556.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That couple's oldest son, Prince Joseph Wenzel (currently aged 11), will thus ultimately inherit the crown of Liechtenstein, the Jacobite claim to the English and Scottish thrones

Would it be a legally valid claim, though? The succession to the thrones of England and Scotland are governed by the Act of Settlement 1701 (restated by the Act of Union 1800) and that states that only non-catholic descendants of Sophia, Electress of Hanover are eligible to succeed to the throne (provided they're not illegitimate).

suze
154565.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote

Oh of course not dr.bob.

But the Jacobite pretenders argue that the deposing of James II and VII was an illegal act, and hence that the royal title should legitimately have passed in his line.

That would invalidate the Act of Settlement, since it was passed by someone who was not the rightful monarch.

Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk makes the claim (in The Highland Clans 1967, Barrie and Jenkins, London) that upon the death of Henry Stuart, Cardinal York in 1807 the Jacobite throne would in any case have passed to George III - and thence as per. However this relies on the contention that Henry's heir - King Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia, whom Moncreiffe refers to as "the Royal Sardine", could not inherit the throne on account of being "foreign"*. The only problem with this is that under his definition, James I and VI was "foreign" at the time he came to the English throne - and hence his argument cannot be correct.

Therefore, the usual Jacobite argument is that the throne passed through Sardinia to the Duchy of Modena and then to the Wittelsbach family of Bavaria, whence it will pass to Liechtenstein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_succession

* "common law (in both England and Scotland) [was] that a person who was not born in the liegeance of the Sovereign, nor naturalised, could not have the capacity to succeed as an heir"

96aelw
154571.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Oh, and you can hire Liechtenstein by the hour - suitable for weddings, bar mitzvahs etc. Maybe, at any rate - I've found a few blog posts which claim that this is so, but their links to proper news sources (one to CNN and one to the New York Times) don't work.

Here's Liechtenstein's entry on the website that does the hiring.

Izzardesque
155148.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote

There's just no need for that!

Soup?
307368.  Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote

Some Quite Interesting statistics? Certainly

Because Lichtenstein is a tax haven, it has more registered companies than people.

The population is such that if you put them all in the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, there'd be two thousand empty seats.

Or so the BBC told me.

samivel
307371.  Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote

Well, the BBC are a bit out in their calculations - the Millennium Stadium can seat 74,500 people, and the population of Liechtenstein is about 35,000.

Sadurian Mike
307659.  Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Well, the BBC are a bit out in their calculations - the Millennium Stadium can seat 74,500 people, and the population of Liechtenstein is about 35,000.

You didn't take into account ticket touts.

AlmondFacialBar
308304.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Liechtenstein is the only country to have German as it's only oficial language.

what about austria?

and do you mind if i swap your apostrophe for an "f" there? ;-P

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
308326.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote

Swap away as regards the apostrophe and the f, but Hans is right in his statement.

Croatian and Hungarian (in Burgenland), and Slovenian (in Kärnten) have local official status in Austria, in much the same way as Danish, Frisian, Low German, Romani, and Sorbian do in parts of Germany.

AlmondFacialBar
308329.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

ah right, once you count in local official languages it's different of course. btw, last time i looked low german didn't have official status (much to my personal distress), only qualified minority one.

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
308375.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Charter_for_Regional_or_Minority_Languages

According to that list, Low German is included.

AlmondFacialBar
308401.  Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote

as a minority language, not a regional one.

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next