View previous topic | View next topic

Eating and Drinking general thread

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

MatC
169493.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Suze, do you think we can get away with saying that cornflakes were invented to prevent masturbation?

No, clearly not - but couldn’t we tweak the question? “When Mr Kellogg accidentally invented cornflakes, he quickly realised what they could be used for. What was that?”

By the way, is the story of the accidental invention 100% solid? It’s just that so many immensely famous brands seem to have accidental invention origin stories, I wonder if sometimes it’s just part of the style.

eggshaped
172665.  Tue May 08, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote

re: big breakfast

Quote:
An Austrian group declared on Saturday that it had set a record for the world's longest restaurant table with place settings for 1,800.

The table, set up along a shopping street, stretched 1.2 kilometres (three-quarters of a mile), organisers said.

link

eggshaped
172689.  Tue May 08, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote

Flamingos always eat with an erection.

Quote:
Flamingos eat by bending their necks, tilting their bills upside down in the water and swishing their heads from side-to-side.

What wasn't known, until they were scanned by a team at Ohio University, is that they have large sections of of erectile tissue located on the floor of the mouth on either side of the tongue.

This material stabilises mouth and allows flamingos to eat in this strange way.

link

It was mentioned in the meeting that flamingos eat like whales, by filtering out small food. With the question "What eats like a whale?" put forward.

However it seems that Basking Sharks and Whale Sharks eat this same way, which, I think, is the obvious answer. Anyone think of a way round?

Gray
172701.  Tue May 08, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

I think we can argue that sharks are slightly different - they push the water out their gills to seive out the goodies - it's a 'tube' system (The other shark that does that is the amusingly titled 'megamouth shark'.)

Whales and flamingos suck in the water, then close their 'plates' and force it back out again - it's a one-way system.

So I think we're still safe.

eggshaped
172720.  Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote

Thx Gray.

Does anyone know when the first Chinese Restaurant was opened in the UK? I think the first one in London was opened in 1908, but I refuse to become so London-centric as to automatically assume that the rest of the country must have followed the big-boys in the big-city.

It seems that they mostly became popular due to the influence of WWII. According to this site there were less than 500 chinese immigrants in the UK in 1945!

eggshaped
177389.  Thu May 24, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote

In the last 4 years, at least three sets of parents in the US have been convicted of murder, involuntary manslaughter or cruelty after the deaths of their children who they'd put on a vegan diet.

link

<edit> There seems to have been a bit of an outcry over the pond about this subject in recent weeks. For an alternative view see here

eggshaped
177391.  Thu May 24, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote

Some wines contain animal proteins. A practise called "fining" uses animal proteins like egg-whites to remove impurities from the wine: some proteins can remain in the product.

link

johnphilips
406518.  Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Molly Cule wrote:
What are Kit Kats used for in Japan?

Good luck charms. The chocolate sounds a lot like the Japanese phrase kitto katsu who roughly translates to "I hope you succeed!" Parents buy them for their children before exams. There are heaps of types of the chocolate in Japan including tropical fruit flavors Kit Kats.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4230471.stm

The first kit kat was a meat pie, made by a man with a pie shop in Temple Bar called Chrisopher Catling whose nickname was Kit Kat.

The Kit Kat club were a group of Whig politicians and literary folk who used to meet in secret in the pie shop, they may have plotted the Glorious Revolution.

I think Molly Cule, I got a good knowledge of kit kat chocolate. And thanks for sharing this information with us.

John Philips

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3