View previous topic | View next topic

Eating and Drinking general thread

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MatC
169303.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote

Who knows what he was doing behind that barrel?

(Although actually that rings a GenIg bell ... I have a vague feeling it wasn’t a barrel ...)

Flash
169317.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote

I think we are supposed to be producing a pre-watershed version again this year. So, unless you two want to edit the bloody thing, I'll thank you to point your telescopes in some other direction.

MatC
169319.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote

Tosser.

eggshaped
169320.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote

**rips up entire script**

Gray
169323.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote

That telephone directory training has finally paid off then.

Flash
169326.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
**rips up entire script**

Actually I'm sure we can and should mention this. But the risk is that a question just becomes so steeped in unusable material that we have to cut the whole thing.

MatC
169332.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
we have to cut the whole thing.

hee-hee! We've got him doing it now!

eggshaped
169383.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know that cornflakes per se were a cure for lust, were they

I always thought they were, at least indirectly. Kellogg thought that indigestion caused sexual lust IIRC.

MatC
169385.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote

Ah, that sounds likely. He thought most things caused lust!

eggshaped
169387.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote

I'm having trouble googling "breakfast masturbation" though.

dr.bob
169390.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

Try "masturbation corn flakes" instead.

Nothing bad could possibly come out of that! :)

suze
169392.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

egg is about right here. John Harvey Kellogg had a bit of a problem with sex - especially masturbation - and a lot of his work was dedicated to finding ways of preventing people from Doing It.

He said things like "neither the plague, nor war, nor small-pox, nor similar diseases, have produced results so disastrous to humanity as the pernicious habit of onanism", and advocated circumcision without anaesthetic and the application of concentrated carbolic acid to the clitoris as means of reducing the urge.

Cornflakes fitted into the master plan, because he believed that a rather plain diet was essential in preventing people from getting too excited. His brother, Will Keith Kellogg, was more of a business man though - and ultimately went behind John Harvey's back and set up the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company (nowadays called the Kellogg Company).

I haven't read it, but Kellogg, J H Treatment for self-abuse and its effects, plain facts for old and young 1888, F Segner & Co, Burlington, IA is often cited.

He was also a white supremacist, which somehow doesn't surprise me at all.

eggshaped
169395.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote

Suze, do you think we can get away with saying that cornflakes were invented to prevent masturbation?

I suspect not, as I believe they were invented serendipitously, as this, from the practicallyedible.com (my fave food resource) says:

Quote:
The two brothers that year were experimenting with masses of boiled wheat dough, put through rollers to make it into sheets. One night, Will left the dough out overnight before rolling it. The next morning, instead of a flat sheet coming out through the rollers, the dough broke up into flakes. Nothing daunted, he put it on the menu for breakfast for patients at the Sanitarium, and it was a hit -- the patients asked for more. In fact, patients wanted the flakes even after they had left the Sanitarium and returned home, so a mail-order business was set up, 15 cents for a 10 ounce (280 g) package. In 1896, Will sold 113,400 pounds (51,450 kg) of the Corn Flakes this way -- without any advertising.

suze
169398.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote

It's a tricky one.

As you note, the actual invention of the corn flake was serendipitous. J H Kellogg was not slow to note their value to his anti masturbation campaign, but they weren't actually invented for that purpose.

Rev Sylvester Graham had invented Graham Crackers sixty years earlier as part of an anti-sex diet plan, so claiming that they were invented specifically for the purpose is more defensible. It's rather less useful though, since most people in Britain are probably unfamiliar with Graham Crackers. (Those who have been to North America are more likely to have encountered them - but these days they are made of refined flour and have sugar in; you'd have to go to a health food store to find "original recipe" examples.)

eggshaped
169472.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote

According to the Nestlé website,

Quote:
No one can be absolutely sure where the name KitKat came from but it is believed to be from the famous 1920's KitKat Club in South East London which had some influence. As the building had very low ceilings, it could only accommodate paintings which were wide and not very high. In the art world, these paintings were known as 'kats'. It's believed that KitKat derived its name from paintings, which had to be snapped off to fit into the rooms with the low ceilings.

link

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next