View previous topic | View next topic

Eating and Drinking general thread

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Molly Cule
154060.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote

What are Kit Kats used for in Japan?

Good luck charms. The chocolate sounds a lot like the Japanese phrase kitto katsu who roughly translates to "I hope you succeed!" Parents buy them for their children before exams. There are heaps of types of the chocolate in Japan including tropical fruit flavors Kit Kats.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4230471.stm

The first kit kat was a meat pie, made by a man with a pie shop in Temple Bar called Chrisopher Catling whose nickname was Kit Kat.

The Kit Kat club were a group of Whig politicians and literary folk who used to meet in secret in the pie shop, they may have plotted the Glorious Revolution.

eggshaped
154063.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote

I think I prefered "what did the first kit kats taste like" as a question.

I read this in a book called "I never knew that about England", but it said that the club was run by someone called Christopher Kat. I admit that Catling is a more likely name though.

Flash
154100.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

Portrait artists refer to "KitKat format" paintings - three-quarter length portraits of the type used to portray KitKat club members, I assume.

Molly Cule
154161.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote

Yes, because the Kit Kat pie shop had a really low ceiling - so paintings on the wall had to be extra short.

Flash
154168.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote

Although you'd think that they could have scaled the figures down in all dimensions if that was the problem - I mean, when you put a portrait of the Queen on a stamp you don't put just one of her eyes on the grounds that that was all you had room for.

eggshaped
154205.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard of miracle fruits?

Quote:
Although not sweet itself, when a single fruit is eaten and the fleshy pulp allowed to coat the taste buds of the tongue and inside of the mouth, an extraordinary effect occurs. The fruit will now allow one to eat a slice of lemon or lime without wincing. The marvelous aroma and inherent sweetness of the citrus remains but the sourness is almost completely covered. The effect remains for some 30 minutes or more.

California Rare Fruit Growers

eggshaped
156425.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

12 year old proves that Fast Food Restaurant toilet water contains less bacteria than their ice cubes.

source

Gray
156472.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote

Presumably they don't use bleach in their ice-cubes...

And there's a good reason why she wouldn't be drinking toilet water too - the kind of bacteria you could catch through a toilet would be far more nasty than that available in water/ice/cup environments.

Still, nice project!

eggshaped
167178.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quote

It has been noted before that I have had the odd psychosomatic episode when I find a new disease online. Thankfully I haven't had any "exploding head syndrome" episodes recently, and to be honest I don't expect to find myself suffering from orthorexia.

Quote:
Orthorexia nervosa is an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating. Unlike the related anorexia, sufferers are concerned not with quantity but with quality. It's not about feeling fat, but about feeling pure.

Orthorexics exhibit an over-enthusiasm for pure eating and healthy food. In moderation, of course, this can be beneficial. In extremis, however, malnutrition, extreme weight loss and even death can result.

beeb

Molly Cule
169278.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote

Which breakfast is in the Guinness Book of Records?

The breakfast taken at the biggest breakfast table in the world in Battle Creek. This event happens every June, when 60,000 people sit down to have breakfast. The breakfast is free and celebrates the invention of cereal as a food at Battle Creek Sanitarium by Seventh Day Adventists, Dr Kellogg and son. It is set up by Battle Creek and Kellogg Co. to celebrate their heritage.

The tabletop tradition began in 1952 when the Kellogg company created "The World's Longest Breakfast Table" to celebrate its 100th anniversary. The event was so popular it became an annual event and Battle Creek earned braggin' rights in the breakfast world.

But in May 1977, Springfield, Mass., served pancakes on more tables than Battle Creek did in 1976. "We had a good-natured rivalry going on for several years," says Russ Adkins, general chairman (1994-2000) of the Battle Creek Cereal Festival.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20030611/ai_n12508085

eggshaped
169280.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know if we've done brekky cereals before? They were invented as a remedy for excessive masturbation weren't they?

MatC
169281.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

Kellog was a leading campaigner against the wank; I have a small amount of material on this, from another project, if wanted.

eggshaped
169283.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote

That would be great Mat

MatC
169288.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am Reply with quote

This is a cutnpaste from something I wrote in another context. I don't know that cornflakes per se were a cure for lust, were they? Perhaps the link is only through Krazy Kellog himself:

Quote:
There’s an old American joke, which I’m sure you’ve heard, and won’t mind hearing again: Why are Methodists opposed to sex? Because they fear it could lead to dancing.
John Harvey Kellogg - a Michigan medical doctor, religious fanatic and health campaigner and the inventor of cornflakes - campaigned long and hard (if you’ll pardon the expression) against sex in all forms, particularly masturbation. In his seminal work (sorry), Treatment for self-abuse and its effects (1888) he wrote: “A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anaesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment. In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement.”
Yes, I’ll bet it is. Circumcision of boys (still widely practiced for bogus “medical” reasons in the USA, but not in any First World country) was considered “undoubtedly the physician's closest friend and ally.” Have a quick fiddle with your search engine, and you’ll find many more 19th and early 20th century examples of this kind of thing, from many countries including Britain. Ministers of religion made it clear that masturbation was a sin, and doctors established that it was bad for the health; this is the old one-two that we have always seen, and continue to see now. Throughout history, sins have always been bad for you - according, that is, to the medical orthodoxy of the day. For masturbation a hundred years ago, read smoking and obesity today.
In the Victorian era, masturbation was known for an absolute medical fact to cause insanity, epilepsy, headaches, nosebleeds, asthma, all forms of heart disease and disorder, memory loss, rashes, body odours, hysteria, lack of concentration, homosexuality, impotence, gonorrhoea, epilepsy, blurred vision, various nervous disorders, all types of gout and rheumatism, a weakening of the organs, blood in the urine, memory loss, tuberculosis or consumption, paralysis, loss of sight and hearing, carelessness, listlessness, negligence, suicide, lesions of the heart, melancholia, hysteria, death, disturbance of appetite, fatigue, warts - and cancer.
There are many more, but if I list them all we’ll never get any tea tonight.
Cures for masturbation were sold on Oxford Street; the nicotine patches and herbal anti-craving supplements of their day - then as now, little more than charms to ward off evil.

eggshaped
169295.  Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:05 am Reply with quote

If only it was as easy to banish hunger by rubbing the belly as it is to masturbate. ~Diogenes the Cynic

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next