View previous topic | View next topic

Ears

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

eggshaped
154003.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote

Your ear gives out sounds of its own. The ear works as an amplifier, and like all amplifiers it creates feedback. Eighty-five percent of normal human ears can produce constant pure tones of sound in a quiet environment. A percentage of reported cases of tinnitus are caused by this problem.
Chris, you were sceptical about this, here was my source

Last year, an examination of a 370-million-year-old fossil fish called Panderichthys showed that ears evolved from ancient fish gills. This species had a transitional form of organ somewhere between a fish’s gill and a mammal’s ear.
Source

Most westerners have gooey earwax while most Asians have dry earwax. There is a theory that wax may play a role as a pheromone, though according to EBR wax is generated to discourage insects from finding their way in.
Source

The left ear is more responsive to words of emotion whispered into it than the right. This is because the left ear is controlled by the right side of the brain, the so-called emotional side, and triggers much better responses from prospective lovers.
Source

According to Navaho tradition if you keep using your own name your ears will fall off.
Source

MatC
154035.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get a sound effect of what an ear sounds like? I think that'd be a great question: "Cows go moo, sheeps goes baa, what do ears go?"

Molly Cule
154041.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote

I still think fish ears are really interesting. You can tell the age of a fish by counting the number of rings on its otoliths - ear stones - just like dendochronology with a tree trunk. That is interesting, it is!

eggshaped
154044.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote

Yes, that is interesting. You can also do it with whales by counting layers of earwax IIRC.

Molly Cule
154062.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote

Nice. Maybe a combined question about whale earwax and fish earstones... What's IIRC?

I'm posting a photo of Sibelius' fireplace, I know we have done Synesthesia but in case anyone is going to Finland....

Sibelius fireplace was racing green and called the F major fireplace for that was the sound he heard when he looked at it. He had it specially made for him by his friend, an architect called Lars Sonck so he could hear it humming when he walked into the sitting room. For Sibelius A was blue, D major yellow and C major red.

Photo of it here - http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=26181

eggshaped
154064.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

IIRC = "If I recall correctly"

Yes, we have some good earwax stuff now, with Bunter's beer froth factoid.

Flash
154096.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote

I wonder whether one could make a candle from earwax?

Re Sibelius' fireplace, one often sees this kind of comment: 'lavatories flush in G Major', 'the Universe hums in B flat major' etc - but surely G Major is a scale (or, at least, a chord), not a note? So what's going on there, then?

eggshaped
154106.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote

Hopi ear candles are used to draw wax out of one's ear.

The Hopi Indians of north-east Arizona that lend their name to the treatment, but there is evidence of the practice occurring all over the world.

eggshaped
154113.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:
So can you make a candle out of ear wax? Yes, yes you can. Not only does it burn with a gentle glow, but I hear one can sell for a lot of money on eBay. Keep in mind though that ear wax is there as a protective agent. It would not be wise to frequently remove ear wax for such frivolous purposes.

http://bsllabs.theumb.net/drsciencearchives.php?a=4

Flash
154116.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote

Very good re the Hopi candles. And, to address the obvious question, they avoid that problem by treating one ear at a time.

Also excellent idea of trading earwax candles on e-bay.

Flash
154122.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote

There aren't any earwax candles currently listed on e-bay, but there is an antique ivory earwax spoon.

Flash
154125.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote

I've bid £12.99 for it.

MatC
154126.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote

Ear wax - link to earwigs (smelling of).

Molly Cule
154164.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote

In the interests of research I could go for a Hopi ear candle session? Down the road at the Virgin Active gym....
Hopi Ear Candles
Relaxing and calming therapy working on the chimney principle, drawing any impurities from the ear canal and leaving a soothing, light sensation. Helpful for sinusitis, headaches and earaches. £35 per session
Is that claimable from talkback?

Molly Cule
154167.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote

Anthropologists have used earwax to work out migratory patterns. Because (I think someone said this in the meeting but worth noting) there are two different genetically determined types of earwax, wet and dry. Asians and Native Americans have dry flakey earwax whilst Caucasians and Africans are more likely to have moist brown wax.

The medical term for earwax is cerumen.

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next