View previous topic | View next topic

Ducks

Page 1 of 1

Abigail
153457.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote

It came to my attention last night that a few years ago the University of Salford spent a great deal of money on a study, which discovered that a duck's quack doesn't echo... apparently...

xxx

grizzly
153459.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote

This one went in TBOGI

Mulvil
153467.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote

I'd point to mythbusters here. whats TBOGI?

Anyway on mythbusters they proved that a ducks quack does echo but at the same frequency as the original quack (or something like that) so it just sounds like its part of the original quack

Edit: answer my own question, the book of general ignorance, how stupid of me

suze
153509.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote

We've done it here before as well.

post 139746 et seq.

Abigail
153519.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry - that'll teach me for not being thorough!! Apologies, folks!

xxx

elewton
184184.  Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote

Ducks are quite big on rape.

As a result, the females sexual organ is complicated and long, with dead ends and twists. The phallus has made similar efforts.

Curious Danny
204767.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote

This is rather confusing to me. The definition of rape is:

Quote:
force (someone) to have sex against their will

Most females in the animal kingdom will choose to have intercourse when a male that impresses the female comes along at the right time. Rape almost never happens to female reptiles and insects. They are usually a lot more aggressive and larger than males and can easily kill suitors that get under their skin.
Female lions will mate with the dominant male of the pride. Rape cannot happen as the male will drive off competitors. The winner will have the right to mate, fair and square, once he has killed the cubs to bring females into season. Females will not submit until this has happened. They are very much in control of their own bodies.
Scorpion flies and chimpanzees also practice rape as well supposedly.

spuriousmonkey
219093.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

elewton wrote:
Ducks are quite big on rape.

As a result, the females sexual organ is complicated and long, with dead ends and twists. The phallus has made similar efforts.

Some duck species are quite big on rape.

The phallus size varies enormously between duck species, with a whopping 42.5 cm penis in the Argentinian duck (1), to species that project a less significant phallus.

Allegedly the length of the penis is somewhat correlated to the frequency of 'forced copulation'.

Reference
(1) Nature 413, p128 (13 September 2001) | doi:10.1038/35093160

Tas
219101.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote

Dolphins also tend to herd off lady Dolphins for group sex orgies. I would look up some online evidence, but I fear my bosses would not understand.

:-)

Tas

Sebastian flyte
256431.  Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote

I'm going to look madly pervy now but just found this .. while looking for something else :)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/enviro/EnviroRepublish_366856.htm

I think I made that sound worse than I meant it to, I was looking for birds reproductive organs, not birds with dicks..if you get where I am going with this ...

CB27
256451.  Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Did you know that most ducks tend to get too nervous when kept in captivity and lay less eggs which is why they're not very economic to farm commercially for their eggs?

Also, ducks tend to lay their eggs very early in the morning and like to have a bit of light around, so commercial farmers sometimes leave night lights on to avoid the ducks panicking.

Page 1 of 1