jaygeemack
153751.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote

HasBeany wrote:
Anymore to add to these few:
Burnieboozle Crescent [Aberdeen]

Aberdeen is not, er, in England!

austinallegro
153752.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote

I just remember there was a further list in Bill Bryson's book "Notes from a small island" but I can't seem to rememebr any of them.

Archie
153762.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote

Warm Lane (Yeadon)
Sunny Avenue (B'ham)

King of Quok
153776.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

There's a 'Crotch Crescent' near Oxford, I seem to remember from my student days. Not balmy in the sense of 'Warm Lane', but I have always wondered who saw fit to call it that.

Archie
153781.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote

I think "crotch" originally meant "fork" which would explain why it's used for the nether regions, but completely goes against the idea of a crescent!

samivel
153786.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote

According to this site, Crotch Crescent is in Marston and is named after one William Crotch (1775-1847), a Professor of Music at Oxford from 1797.

96aelw
153791.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote

I believe that there was once, in London, an "Of Alley" linking Duke Street and Buckingham Street.

Sand
153806.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote

I figured I could grab a few if I took a spin on Google Earth.

Doehole Lane
Butts Road
Assarts Road

You're not English if you don't have to supress the slightest snigger at those :D

Maxtoke Road
Three Tunes Road (not so much weird as intriguing)
Shallow Walk
Childs Way

As a slight aside, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of road names are after people, most likely councillors. That latter bit is a wild guess but based on the fact that my own village has roads almost exclusively named after councillors of the past and on looking at a more recent building project I see the tradition is continuing because I saw a living councillor's name on one new road. I find this mildly interesting from the point of view that wonders who the hell these people think they are. I'm willing to bet that many couldn't name their councillors so having roads named after themselves seems more than a little pretentious IMO. They are seemingly incapable of spending money repairing roads, unless it's to place speed inbetween (yeah, I said that correctly) 'restrictions' that more often than not seem worse than driving up a kerb no matter how slowly you do it, yet eager to give themselves lasting recognition.

Given that I know a couple of councillors in my area, it'd be more appropriate to name something a little less grand after them. In the same manner that people stick plaques on park benches, they could put their name on pet waste bins. It'd be a good deal more appropriate where some are concerned and more appropriate still if the plaque was on the inside of the bin.

jaygeemack
153813.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote

I know this is not in England, but in the US of A (where else).

Psycho Path.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/americas/4762654.stm

dr.bob
153818.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote

There's a thread in Quite Interestings called "Inappropriate Street Names" which covers a lot of similar territory.

For instance, in post 79394 you can read suze's musings about Gropecunt Lane.

King of Quok
153839.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
According to this site, Crotch Crescent is in Marston and is named after one William Crotch (1775-1847), a Professor of Music at Oxford from 1797.

Thanks Samivel! I knew I wasn't dreaming. I'm sure a famous Oxford band used to live there; might have been Radiohead; I remember a terribly trendy tutor bringing it up in the middle of discussing 'Dover Beach'.

samivel
153859.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote

A point very pertinent to Mr Arnold's poetry, I'd have thought.

;)

Hummingbird
153864.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
There's a thread in Quite Interestings called "Inappropriate Street Names" which covers a lot of similar territory.

For instance, in post 79394 you can read suze's musings about Gropecunt Lane.

Good grief. That must be the ultimate in embarrassing addresses. We had a Coldharbour Lane in Chelmsford that used to make is giggle, and Pitt close

ikkan
153869.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Once again not England... but this is a great place name!

Pronounced roughly 'zaiziks', Zzyzx is a place in California.

See Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Zzyzx_Road.jpg

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next