View previous topic | View next topic

Day of the Banana trees

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Caradoc
16033.  Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Slightly green skinned, peeled, sliced & fried in bacon fat.

Beehive
16059.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Slit lengthways through the peel, with some bits of chocolate inserted in the slit, wrapped in foil and then put on a barbecue, they do make a good dessert.

Here we use Mars Bars.

I believe Canaan Banana had to pass a law banning jokes about his name, but I got this fact from the Have I Got News For You annual 1997, so I am not vouching for its reliability.

Natalie
16060.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Mars Bars are excellent after a minute or three in the microwave.

(the trick is in the explosion).

Jenny
16061.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I've never tried a deep-fried Mars bar, but it sounds like a heart-attack on a plate.

Flash
16062.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Deep-fried Mars Bars came up in the show. It was an unscripted moment so we hadn't researched the subject, but we think they're a myth.

Flash
16063.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm ... apparently not. A letter to the Lancet in Dec 2004 explains:
Quote:
The deep-fried Mars bar was first identified in Scotland nearly a decade ago, although epidemiological data about its existence remains scarce. David Morrison (Greater Glasgow NHS Board, UK) and Mark Petticrew (MRC Social & Public Health Sciences Unit) surveyed around 300 Scottish fish and chip shops: 22% sold deep-fried Mars bars; three-quarters of the shops had only been selling them for the past 3 years. Average sales were 23 bars per week, although 10 outlets sold between 50 and 200 bars a week. The average price per bar was 60 pence, and perhaps unsurprisingly, the younger generation were the main purchasers—three-quarters were sold to children and 15% to adolescents.

Dr Morrison comments: “The most frequent comment made to us about the snack was that deep-frying Mars bars spoils the fat or frying equipment. 15 shops reported health concerns. Other interesting foods that the fish and chip shops have been asked to fry include chocolate (21%) and sweets (16%) in general, Snickers (4%), Creme eggs (4%), and pizza (4%). Three shops each said they had been asked for deep-fried ice cream and deep-fried Maltesers. Deep-fried Toffee Crisps, bananas, pineapple rings, and Rolos had also been requested.”

Dr Petticrew adds: “We conclude that Scotland’s deep-fried Mars bar is not just an urban myth. Encouragingly, we did also find some evidence of the penetrance of the Mediterranean diet into Scotland, albeit in the form of deepfried pizza.”

http://www.news-medical.net/print_article.asp?id=6901 has a rather disgusting picture, though I'm not sure what of.

Beehive
16068.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote

They are definitely not a myth; I have seen them on several occasions.

Natalie
16070.  Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Eww Flash, that picture is something that should go into hiding. I'd be more afraid of it eating me than me eating it.

Last edited by Natalie on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
16125.  Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote

Beehive wrote:
They are definitely not a myth; I have seen them on several occasions.

Indeed, there's even a chip shop here in Edinburgh that proudly claims you can bring anything in to the shop and, for a fee, they'll batter it and deep-fry it for you.

I've yet to try them out with a packet ot tic-tacs :)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2