View previous topic | View next topic

Cathedrals

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jenny
48138.  Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I always thought the big church in St Albans was an Abbey? (I used to live in Watford, so not far away).

Tas
48176.  Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote

D'oh!

I should have said that it is St Albans Cathedral & Abbey. The website for it (http://www.stalbanscathedral.org.uk/index1.htm) has some quite QI history.

:-)

Tas

jeffm
60409.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote

Similarly Blackburn has a cathedral but is generally regarded as a town.

Bondee
673597.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote

Don Justo's Self Built Cathedral

I saw this man on Paul Merton In Europe recently and felt compelled to find out more.

Justo Gallego Martínez, more commonly known as Don Justo, had to leave his Trappist monastery, eight years after joining, due to ill health. Whilst praying to The Lady Of The Pillar he promised to build a cathedral in her name if he recovered.

He eventually began to build the cathedral on a plot of land he had inherited from his parents in the Spanish village of Mejorada del Campo, approximatelty 20 miles from Madrid, in 1961.

There are no formal plans, Don Justo seems to make it up as he goes along saying "The plans have only ever existed in my head". He did most of the work alone, but has had some help from his nephews and occasional volunteers. He receives no support from the Catholic church because he had to leave the monastery before he took his vows.

inevitable wiki link

photos from Flickr group

AlmondFacialBar
673642.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote

is that only a uk thing about cities being defined by cathedrals? cos... if it's not ireland has some mighty tiny cities. joe cuddy, and irish stand-up comedian, once described the typical irish village as having "three houses, two pubs and a cathedral" and that kinda nails it. ferns, co. wexford, site of st. aidan's cathedral and see of the diocese of ferns, for instance boasts a population of 954. so... erm... city? their current head honcho is, btw, a bishop brennan, which always makes me giggle rather a lot.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Zebra57
673667.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Southwell in Nottinghamshire functions as a cathedral for the C of E. The City of Nottingham has no C of E cathedral. Southwell is not a city.

Bath is a city but does not have a cathedral except that the bishop based at Wells Cathedral is styled the Bishop of Bath and Wells.

Spud McLaren
673680.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Derby has had a cathedral since 1-7-1927, but was not a city until 1977.

suze
673681.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Rochester has had a cathedral since the year 604, but somehow ceased to be a city in 1998.

Jenny
673768.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote

I like that cathedral.

Zebra57
673860.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Quote from Wiki concerning Rochester:

"1998: the council merged with Gillingham and Chatham to form the Medway unitary authority. The outgoing council neglected to appoint ceremonial "Charter Trustees" to continue to represent the historic Rochester area, causing Rochester to lose its city status - an error not even noticed by the council for four years, until 2002"

bobwilson
673867.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Is Ely a city?

bobwilson
673868.  Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
"1998: the council merged with Gillingham and Chatham to form the Medway unitary authority. The outgoing council neglected to appoint ceremonial "Charter Trustees" to continue to represent the historic Rochester area, causing Rochester to lose its city status - an error not even noticed by the council for four years, until 2002"

Somebody expected a council to notice an error? How naive.

samivel
673886.  Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Is Ely a city?

Yes.

Mind you, so is Southampton, and that doesn't have a cathedral.

suze
674080.  Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Somebody expected a council to notice an error? How naive.

Wasn't it just?

This is not a thing for which anyone can reasonably blame the elected councillors, and indeed it's a thing that you might expect that many people really wouldn't give a toss about. Even so, the next council election saw Labour lose the council to the Conservatives - this in a borough with very few "posh areas" - and this screwup has taken much of the blame.

Zebra57
674285.  Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Except that when I was last in Rochester all the street names were written with City of Rochester on them.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next