View previous topic | View next topic

Cathedrals

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
15545.  Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote

I have read a story about Glocester Cathedral's stain-glass window, which was dismantled during WWII. However, when they went to put it back together, all the bits of sticky paper (which told them where to put each piece) had fallen off.

They managed to re-assemble it thanks to an old postcard.

Seems a bit fanciful and I can't find any reliable source.

Any better searchers?

eggshaped
15584.  Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote

An e-mail from www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Harkin,

It is true that the Great East Window was removed during WWII but it
was
replaced as taken out. The labels did not fall off!

Tony Higgs

Ah well.

Flash
15591.  Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote

He shot your fox. That is still permissible, of course.

Gray
15593.  Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote

They also 'fall down the stairs' a lot, apparently.

Still, cathedrals are quite interesting. Especially Chartres, which is ridiculously large and almost enough to make a hard-nosed atheist reel for a while. It's extraordinary that they managed to build so much without actually understanding very much structural mechanics (particularly of materials) - they went by 'rule of thumb' mostly, which accounts for why so many bits of cathedrals fell down while being built, killing so many builders.

You don't have to know how something works to be able to use it...

Flash
15597.  Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Roman builders didn't even have a sensible mathematical system, let alone the mechanics.

Jenny
15598.  Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote

I saw Chartres before they cleaned the windows (I gather it's changed the colour of the glass somewhat!) and the windows then were the most amazing deep purply-blue.

eggshaped
15602.  Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote

And of course there's the old question about why windows in old churches are thicker at the bottom than at the top.

There's still many a science teacher that tells you it's because glass is a liquid (which it isnít) and it has flowed downwards over time.

But it's because old glass making tachniques were not advanced enough to make perfectly flat sheets of glass, they were just made thicker at the bottom.

Flash
15604.  Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote

Or, at any rate, made thicker at one end - and that end suggested itself to the glazier as the better one to put at the bottom.

DELETED
19294.  Sat May 07, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Last edited by DELETED on Sat May 07, 2005 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
19295.  Sat May 07, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote

My Concise OED says:
Quote:
(strictly) town created city by charter, esp as containing cathedral (but all catherdral towns are not cities, nor vice versa)

and cathedral means
Quote:
principal church of diocese, with bishop's throne

DELETED
19296.  Sat May 07, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Jenny
19368.  Sun May 08, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Interesting that the seat of the Archbishop of York is not called a cathedral but a Minster. Beverley, about nine miles from Hull, also has a Minster, but no archbishop, or even bishop. Beautiful church though. Hull has a larger church called Holy Trinity, but also no bishop.

statsfan
48047.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote

http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Cathedrals/CathedralsTable3.htm

Nevertheless, it's possible that I'm overlooking some weird nuance of ecclesiastical law, which says that Westminster technically doesn't have a cathedral, even though there's a cathedral in it.

I'm not good on churchy stuff, so if anyone with more patience would like to sort it out ...

All that said, Brighton and Hull definitely don't have cathedrals, so it's possible that there is a fairly good General Ignorance question lurking somewhere in here.

The list from http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Cathedrals/CathedralsTable3.htm is correct as it only lists Anglican cathedrals but does point out cities which have Catholic cathedrals. Bath and Westminster have Abbeys NOT cathedrals, although Westminster also has a Catholic cathedral.

96aelw
48074.  Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote

Although Westminster Abbey was a cathedral between 1540 and 1550.

Technically there is a Bishop of Beverley, but he isn't a diocesan bishop, so Beverley Minster remains not a cathedral.

Tas
48090.  Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Presumably, the logic behind this belief is that cities are bigger than towns, therefore they require bigger churches, a cathedral is a big church, therefore when a town gets a cathedral it's officially a city.

I live just outside St Albans, and this has a rather large cathedral that has increased in size from its founding. I don't think that it is the city size that matters, just the site itself (I mean, the city is named after a Saint, after all...)

:-)

Tas

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next