View previous topic | View next topic

Condoms

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Bunter
150187.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote

I don't know whether there's a right answer to "Who invented the condom?", but it seems it that it definitely isn't named after the French town, which is what I was told as a kid. Nor was it named after a "Dr Condom". The most prevelant, but not necessarily correct, answer on the interweb is as follows:

Quote:
In 1564 the book De Morbo Gallico, a treatise on syphilis by the Italian anatomist Gabriello Fallopio (1523 - 1562), was posthumously published. In the book, Fallopio claimed to have invented a linen sheath which, when dipped in a solution of salt or herbs, formed a protection against the disease. The sheath fitted over the glans and under the foreskin, and was probably pretty impractical and highly uncomfortable, but it wasn't belong before Hercules Saxonia described a larger sheath, still made of linen, that covered the entire penis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A375446

Bunter
150191.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote

According to Panati's Origins of Everyday Things:

Fallopius's linen sheath was the:

Quote:
"first clearly documented prophylactic for the male member. Soon sheaths appeared for circumcised men. They were a standard eight inches lonh and tied securely at the base with a pink ribbon, presumably to appeal to the female. Fallopius's invention was tested on over one thousand men, "with complete success," as the doctor himself reported. The euphemism of the day labeled them "overcoats".

It's perhaps important to note that Fallopius designed his sheath to combat veneral disease...not as birth control.

suze
150336.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote

This quiz from the BBC website wants to go earlier - although I need to try and track down a source.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3250785.stm?markResults=true&x=16&y=13

It is being alleged to me that a few years back the French rugby team included the magnificently named Johnny Condom, and that Nigel Starmer-Smith and his chums went to lengths to avoid ever actually mentioning the man's name.

eggshaped
150341.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote

The oldest known condoms (as in the oldest ones physically found) were discovered in a toilet in Dudley (Castle), were made from fish and animal intestine and were dated to around 1640AD.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sex/story/0,,887253,00.html

MatC
150345.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
were made from fish and animal intestine

Gets a fellow in the mood, just thinking about it, doesn't it?

dr.bob
150573.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It is being alleged to me that a few years back the French rugby team included the magnificently named Johnny Condom

Well, almost. I think the "Johnny" is a bit of elaboration to make his name seem funnier, but I have found reference to a Jean Condom who played for France in 1987:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/rugby_world_cup/history/2960324.stm

I suppose Jean could translate as Johnny, but personally I think that's cheating.

Searching the web for "Johnny Condom" turns up an education video from the late 90's in which a talking condom puppet teaches kids about sexually transmitted infections and the dangers of HIV and AIDS.

more here: http://www.kbs.co.uk/education/titles.asp?pCode=KD001

I think, if I'd seen a talking condom teaching me about sex, it probably would have mentally scarred me for life! :)

Last edited by dr.bob on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
154009.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone could venture to guess at what this is:

dr.bob
154024.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote

A condom applicator?

eggshaped
154027.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote

Spot on, though I suppose the clue was in the title of the thread.

It was named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.

link

Bunter
154187.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote

It looks like a lifeguard buoy for a hamster.

Vitali
155110.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Corkscrew Addicts Association (whatever the correct "official" name) should put it on its lists...

Vitali
155111.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote

I see a good "What is it?" question for the show here...

eggshaped
155187.  Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote

Flash, I wonder if you could pick up a second-hand one on ebay.

eggshaped
155224.  Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote

condom-bike

eggshaped
155227.  Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote

Also in India, condom lubricants are used to give a smooth finish and shine to Benaras silk saris.

Quote:

For waterproofing, condoms are cut and spread under the cement-concrete mortar above ceilings; and as for roads, large quantities of condoms are mixed with tar-concrete in hot-mix plants to churn out a high quality road finish product.

Apparently only 25% of condoms in India are used for their proper use.

source

And finally:

Quote:

A survey of more than 1,000 men in India has concluded that condoms made according to international sizes are too large for a majority of Indian men.

source

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next