View previous topic | View next topic

Expurgation

Page 1 of 1

MatC
150064.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote

... a rather forced attempt to make “censorship” start with an E. Sorry.

Anyway, in the US, where the banning of books is something of an everyday occurrence, human rights campaigners in the form of the American Library Association sell “Banned Book Bracelets.”

These unisex fashion items come in two sizes, adult and “kid,” and feature reproductions of the covers of banned books, and the slogan “I read banned books.”. The children’s bracelets feature banned children's books, such as “The Adventures of Captain Underpants.”

(They're not only for banned books, by the way, but also for “challenged” books. Here is a list of the 100 most challenged books: www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm. Some are obvious - they have “sex” in the title, or “anarchy” - but some are somewhat surprising.)

The bracelets are really nice looking, and only 20 bucks a pop - a bargain, if you ask me. I think we should get the panel wearing them for Banned Books Week, the last week in September.

Sources:
www.alastore.ala.org/SiteSolution.taf?_sn=catalog&_pn=product_detail&_op=2149
www.carolynforsman.com/product.cfm?item_id=175
www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/challengedbanned/challengedbanned.htm
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

MatC
150159.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote

I’m embarrassed to say, after three years, I don’t know how to paste pictures here. If someone could tell me, I could then insert a nice picture of a lovely bracelet.

eggshaped
150161.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote

If you find a pic online, right-click onto it and go down to properties. Then cut and paste the address of the pic (probably ends in jpg or gif or something) into your message, then surround it by [im g] and [/i mg].

Flash
150167.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
surround it by [im g] and [/i mg]

... which you can do by highlighting it and hitting the Img button just above the box where you insert text.

Bunter
150169.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote

OK...Let's all come out of the closet. I don't know how to make links go small.

So instead of www.ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.com, it just says, go: "here".

You know what I mean?

eggshaped
150173.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote

[url = http://www.bunter.com] here [/ url]

(without the spaces)

Bunter
150178.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quote

Thanks!

MatC
150179.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:
OK...Let's all come out of the closet. I don't know how to make links go small.

So instead of www.ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.com, it just says, go: "here".

You know what I mean?

Oh, wow, Bunter - I knew how to do that years ago! (shut up, Gray)

MatC
150185.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thanks, chaps!

[/img]

dr.bob
150280.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

That's a cool bracelet. I think if I were living in a repressive, right-wing police state like the USA, I'd almost certainly be wearing one :)

I wonder how many banned books there are in the UK.

Page 1 of 1