View previous topic | View next topic

Scotland

Page 4 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

soup
399578.  Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote

Load o' pish ,it repeats the lie of A.G.B. inventing the telephone.
However it does seem apt in a discussion about Scottish inventions

http://thecapitalscot.com/pastfeatures/likeus.html

jaygeemack
402031.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

TubewayAndy wrote:
Bonnie Prince Charlie was a short and effeminate Italian !

Billy Connolly said that he was the only man he knew who was called after three sheepdogs.

bobwilson
402055.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
........... the most dense nation (England)

Is you sayeen we iz fick or summat?

Starfish13
411141.  Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote

I'd like to raise an issue with the list of inventions in the link that soup added.

The pneumatic tyre wasn't invented by John Boyd Dunlop. Although he did develop such a tyre and have it patented, the patent was revoked two years later when it was discovered that it was invalid. Another Scotsman, Robert William Thompson (1822-1873), had patented the idea when Dunlop was still a child.

RW Thompson was from the town of Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen, where he is commemorated by the annual RW Thompson vintage vehicle rally, and a plaque on the wall outside the Kwik-Fit garage. He also invented the fountain pen, steam-powered buses and a wheelchair for invalids.

Stonehaven (or Stoney, or Steenhive) is the location where the fossil of the oldest air-breathing organism in the world was found. Pneumodesmus newmani was named for its finder, amateur fossil hunter and local bus driver, Mike Newman.

Hanii Puppy
424477.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

(deleted)

Last edited by Hanii Puppy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

justifiedsinner
441031.  Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote

I believe that Edinburgh has the only train station in the world named after a novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Waverley_railway_station#History

Another train station, in Glasgow had the millionth article on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hill_station

I'm trying to think of more Scottish train station trivia, but I think i've reached my limit, anyone care to add to my list.

doktorqi
560285.  Wed May 27, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote

Corrour (sp?) is the most isolated railway station in the UK, I can offer that?

And as for

"Stonehaven (or Stoney, or Steenhive)" further up, I once got into a bit of trouble trying to pronounce the constituency of "East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow" o.0

principessa
630023.  Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I am Scottish too! Hello fellow Scots

I would like to raise an issue with the link given by soup aswell. (sorry)

It states "chloroform, an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson, Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland."

Sir James Young Simpson did not discover chloroform, he was however the first to use it in surgery.

(however, it may just be the wording that is making it appear inacurate to me, Im not sure.)

Other random Scottish stuff comming to mind at present....

Joseph Lister implemented the use of carbolic acid as an antiseptic.

Professor Sir David Lane discoverd the p53 tumor suppressor gene, giving insight into the mechanisms by which cancers begin.

Professor Ian Donald developed the use of medical ultrasoud.

Sir James Black invented beta-blockers.

As far as I am aware, it was a Scottish doctor (in Edinburgh I think) who invented the X ray machine. Cant remember his name. Too tierd to google it just now. Anyone know?

Craig.L
630817.  Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote

Dunno about everyone else - oh!! bye the way... hello fellow Scots... not Scotch as many would rather offensivly have it, thus comparing our fair nations folks to ham and breadcrumb coated eggs... erm, where was I...

Uh huh!! Dunno about everyone else but these last few weeks of documentaries covering the genius of the many Scots (no eggs, ham or breadcumbs) who made such significant impacts on the modern world...

And... to add to the list Claire has above this... A fellow namee of mine, James Lind got the good sailors to eat their citrus fruits and thus avoid scurvy... And lets not forget Alxeander Flemming and penicillin - though I seem to recall it was a German who stabalised it in tablet form...

Nuff!!! Oh!! I get a German doc for x-rays... but, he found them coming from the back of a cathode ray tube, so we could maybe try and claim it as one of John Logie Baird's (Scots too) because he invented the telly, but sadly not the cathode ray tube, that was another German!!! Braun... Awww!!!!

Craig.L
630818.  Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote

justifiedsinner wrote:
I believe that Edinburgh has the only train station in the world named after a novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Waverley_railway_station#History

Another train station, in Glasgow had the millionth article on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hill_station

I'm trying to think of more Scottish train station trivia, but I think i've reached my limit, anyone care to add to my list.

I like this!!! I thought the area might have been called Waverly prior to the books, then realised that it was a body of water called the Nor Loch, so... aye... nice!

Zebra57
651150.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Sir Walter Scott provides many links with the railway. Woodstock was a station in Oxfordshire prior to Beeching and Kenilworth in Warwickshire may soon reopen.

The Lord of the Isles is a steam locomotive still in service while the Heart of Midlothian was an Anglo-Scottish express. His novels are certainly well connected.

I believe a critic once said that Walter Scott invented Scotland or should that be Scottland?

Zebra57
651198.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

PS I forgot another Scott connection - the area of grass outside a well known London station "The Field of Waterloo"

Zebra57
869347.  Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote

The anti-British sentiment within the SNP appears to have raised its head again. Maybe we should call Alex Salmond - Alex the Viking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16050269

Zebra57
876549.  Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote

There are many issues raised by the recent forcing of the independence issue.

Who should have the right to vote in the Scottish independence issue?

People born in Scotland?
People resident in Scotland? Who would that include?

At what age should people be allowed to vote?

Would a British Government offer the Shetland Islands a separate independence?

Would Scotland embrace the Euro?

Willie
876639.  Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Who should have the right to vote in the Scottish independence issue?

Anybody who already has the right to vote in elections held in Scotland should and would have the right, so a none issue.

Quote:
At what age should people be allowed to vote?

Slightly more complex, but on the whole I would go with the same answer as the last question. Lowering the age of voting is something that should be a part of an overall change in voting, not just for one referendum.

Quote:
Would a British Government offer the Shetland Islands a separate independence?

Why would it? That is just about as sensible and relevant as asking whether they should offer Newcastle the choice of joining Scotland.

Quote:
Would Scotland embrace the Euro?

That would be something for Scotland to decide after any referendum. The monetary system used wasn't any bar on Eire gaining independence and isn't any bar on Scotland doing the same.

Page 4 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next