View previous topic | View next topic

Scotland

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

einstein1989
148965.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I noticed there wasn't a topic for my home country Scotland so I thought I'd add one. I hope no-one minds!

smiley_face
148969.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Well I can tell you that Edinburgh was the first city in the world to have its own Fire Brigade, so there's a start.

dr.bob
149101.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote

Scotland is also home to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th oldest universities in the UK (St Andrew's, Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh respectively)

Baz94
149105.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote

Throughout History, Haven't most inventors been from Scotland?
Doesn't Scotland have the highest number of Inventors in the UK?

dr.bob
149122.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote

It sounds like the kind of statistic that's often quoted without any evidence to back it up. There have certainly been a lot of Scottish inventors, but I find it hard to believe that there have been more per head than any other country. Especially if you average it out over the whole of history.

Perhaps you'd like to accept the challenge to prove/debunk this particular oft-quoted nugget.

jaygeemack
151569.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote

An QI piece of information - The sister-in-law of John Logie Baird, the inventor of television, died only last month in a home near Wishaw, Lanarkshire.

In Helensburgh, the hometown of JLB, there is a Logie Baird Primary School, known locally as the Yogi Bear Primary School.

jaygeemack
151574.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote

Wikipedia lists 60 Scottish inventors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scottish_inventors

When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, whom could he call?

dr.bob
151581.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote

Scotland is quite devoid of people. Despite being the second largest country in the UK and having the second highest population in the UK, in terms of population density it's flat last with a little over half the population density of its nearest rival (NI) and less than one fifth of the most dense nation (England)

England : 377/kmē
Wales : 140/kmē
Northern Ireland : 122/kmē
Scotland : 64/kmē

In terms of population, with 5,094,800 inhabitants Scotland would be the 113th largest country in the world, sandwiched between Finland and Turkmenistan, however with a population density of 64/kmē Scotland would come equal 128th with Honduras, Georgia, French Polynesia, Jordan and East Timor.

It still scores more highly in both measures than the Republic of Ireland, though.

Archie
151587.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote

jaygeemack wrote:

Antoni Meucci perhaps?

Mulvil
151590.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote

I bet the first thing that happend when he invented it was that he got a call about inventing double-glazing or about insurance or something stupid

jaygeemack
151603.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote

Archie wrote:
jaygeemack wrote:

Antoni Meucci perhaps?

Did he have his number? There would have been no telephone directories at the time.

jaygeemack
151611.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Scotland is quite devoid of people.

Scotland values quality, not quantity.

I read once that the most stupid man in Scotland moved to England, and the average IQ of both countries increased immediately.

jblackley
152042.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Scotland is quite devoid of people. Despite being the second largest country in the UK and having the second highest population in the UK, in terms of population density it's flat last with a little over half the population density of its nearest rival (NI) and less than one fifth of the most dense nation (England).

Which is one of the few things I find in its favour.

Tas
152047.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he have his number? There would have been no telephone directories at the time.

Couldn't he just dial one or two (depending on whether his phone was the other one)?

:-)

Tas[/quote]

jaygeemack
152312.  Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't he just dial one or two (depending on whether his phone was the other one)?

If Mrs Graham Bell answered the telephone and Antoni Meucci asked for her husband, would she have to say, "Who's calling?"

Would she have put him on hold with some musak, intermittently interrupted by "We value your call", while she looked for Mr Graham Bell?

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next