View previous topic | View next topic

OK, how does this work?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IM2L844
17080.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote

It seems like I heard somewhere that women are able to use both slices of their brain at the same time where as men have to use either one side or the other. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I think it's different with music though...for me anyway. Music is both esoteric and easily approachable at the same time. I can't quite put my finger on it. It follows certain logical pre-determined patterns, but in a free flowing and sometimes unpredictable way.

I have played guitar for more than 30 years and can nonchalantly improvise a piece while holding an unrelated conversation. On the other hand, there have been times when I was improvising on stage with such intense concentration I would break out in a sweat regardless of temperature. Once I was playing outdoors, sweating profusely and it began to snow. When I am in that place, it's like nothing else exists except the music. It's hard to explain. Time flows at a different rate...slower. When it's over and reality sets back in, I'm exausted. Strange. I've never tried to put it to words before. Anyway, at those times, there is no way I could think of anything else. I don't understand the mechanism. It's like throwing a switch.

Frances
17081.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote

Perhaps this is linked with fanaticism or hysteria, or religious ecstasy? Not wishing to be insulting, but this total immersion in the moment does sound like those.

IM2L844
17082.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote

Maybe. It's not insulting. I don't know how to categorize it. It's sort of an emotionless transcendence.

Natalie
17085.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the performing on stage thing. Also, I find that if I'm performing on the same level as people (not on a stage), but at a concert, I notice, say if a kid runs in front of me, but I somehow don't register that's what they are doing. It's only after if I'm talking to people about it that I realise it happened, if that makes any sense at all.

Last edited by Natalie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gray
17116.  Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote

I've found Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's book Flow to be enormously informative and fascinating in this area. If you can pronounce his name, you're about 3/4 of the way there.

The magic point of flow is where the awareness of 'self' just evaporates. You just 'are', and whatever you do just flows out of you. My sister is an artist and occasionally gets that moment (although isn't aware of it at the time, obviously) where the picture simply paints itself. Buddhists have been going on about this for simply ever...

Frances
17170.  Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote

This must in some way connect with the ballet dancer's ability to carry on dancing with a broken toe, or the jockey's ability to race with a broken arm - or even my past ability to come off the pitch after a game of hockey and only then notice a bruise the size of my hand on my shin.

Caradoc
17203.  Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
This must in some way connect with the ballet dancer's ability to carry on dancing with a broken toe, or the jockey's ability to race with a broken arm - or even my past ability to come off the pitch after a game of hockey and only then notice a bruise the size of my hand on my shin.

Probably due to endorphins & possibly adrenalin, I once covered 8 miles in 90 minutes with two broken ribs, when I realy had to, it wasn't fun but I did it.

tethys
17292.  Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote

well I can drive to work and hardly notice what i've been doing - sort of auto pilot - it's to do with the brain being selective about what inputs from receptors are retained, a bit like living in a house that has a chiming clock and not hearing it, you do hear it but your brain filters it out.

Jenny
17315.  Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote

I've heard it suggested that autistic people are unable to be selective in that way, and that their odd behaviours are to do with trying to cut down the chaos that floods their brains.

Ollie
21203.  Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Women seem to have the uncanny ability to type or read and enter data while holding a completely unrelated telephone conversation without ever breaking stride in either endeavour. Men don't seem to be able to do this
I think a lot of this is down to experience while typing. wathich people type using their index fingers and very very slowly really annoys me, especially if they are using PCs all the time.

Natalie
21208.  Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote

I type mainly with my index fingers, but also my middle finger, but I find that I can type fairly quickly. Some people can do touch typing, which to me is very clever.

dotcom
21210.  Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I have a peculiar horror (what a stupid phrase. See The Liar) of people not using the spare number pad and using the numbers on top of the letters.
It just looks wrong, somehow.

Natalie
21212.  Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote

On laptops there are no number pads. The world therefore looks wrong.

Jenny
21215.  Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote

I got very fast at using the number pad when I was working at Penguin and we used to use it to enter ISBNs to look books up on the system.

laidbacklazyman
21216.  Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote

Number pad work is very good when you see someone that can do it well.
I got to the stage where I could punch data and have a cup of tea or a cigarette at the same time, now my old boss used to be able to do something else when punching data with her right hand, she'd punch with her left aswell. I think I probabley could have done that but I couldn't read two things at once

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next