View previous topic | View next topic

Efficiency and Ergonomics

Page 1 of 1

Flash
148938.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote

I thought there might be some scope in the business of time-and-motion studies and the way they revolutionised domestic design in the 50s. Haven't gone so far as to do any actual work on it - I'm more conceptualising the process at the moment.

A 'therblig' is a unit motion, a basic component of a manual process; it's Gilbreth backwards (almost), named after the Gilbreths, the American inventors of the time and motion study. Therbligs include such things as search, find, assemble, grasp, etc.

Flash
166153.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Are we cheap enough to snigger at nudists? I say 'yes' - particularly if we can find some good anecdotes about the history of naturism as a quasi-political movement.

Quote:
Health & Efficiency was first published in 1900. Back then the magazine covered health topics such as diet, exercise, herbalism and general advice on living a healthy and efficient life.

In the 1920s when nudists began publicising their activities and sun clubs began to form, Health & Efficiency became an early champion of their cause through publishing their letters, articles and photos.

After the Second World War nudism experienced a massive expansion and the monthly 'H&E' - as it became known - was in pole position in promoting the nudist lifestyle. Throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s H&E's reputation as the 'nudist bible' grew. H&E's audience was made up of nudists who were members of British clubs and those who used British beaches. A small minority who were lucky enough to be able to afford holidays abroad, and sampled the delights of French and Yugoslavian nudist facilities, provided H&E with the first 'naturists abroad' travel reports.

This was a hint of things to come for by the 1970s cheaper foreign travel allowed many more British naturists to visit the South of France, Spain, Greece and Yugoslavia. H&E reflected this change and soon became an international naturist magazine providing news, travel reports, features and photography from around the naturist world.

Naturism in the year 2006 is no longer a minority movement. The acceptance of nude sunbathing and recreation in many countries and on many beaches around the world means a present day level of acceptance only dreamed of by the early pioneers.

http://www.healthandefficiency.co.uk/welcomeframe.htm

I think there are two rather sweetly naive observations in that history:

Quote:
H&E's audience was made up of nudists

and
Quote:
Naturism in the year 2006 is no longer a minority movement.

Interesting also the implication that Yugoslavia was some sort of nudist mecca.

Last edited by Flash on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flash
166155.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote

At one time H&E had a spin-off glamour mag called Girl Illustated, which is famous for having got Katy Manning, Dr Who's assistant from 1971-3, to pose naked with a Dalek. Dalek fans can check out the pix here:
http://members.fortunecity.com/noops212/fcnoops_katy_manning_dr_who.html

MatC
166160.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Dalek fans can check out the pix here:

Now you are my friend for life, Flash.

Mind you, I reckon you made this bit up:

Quote:
in pole position

Flash
166179.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Naturist clubs like to do quite a lot of DIY, apparently:

Quote:
Indeed, British Naturism - the umbrella body representing naturism in the UK - offers insurance against power tool injury as part of its annual membership package.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/401305.stm

British Naturism has 25,000 members, and there are more than 130 clubs and 10 beaches where nudity is permitted.

In July 1999, a doctor, a policeman, two schoolgirls and a gravedigger were the first British naturists to swim the channel. (How could you tell which was the policeman if you didn't know, I wonder?)

Flash
166180.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote

There's a joke out there somewhere about Health & Efficiency / Health & Safety, but I can't put my finger on it.

Flash
166182.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Efficiency - Exposure - Eccentrics

Gray
166272.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote

Yet another link to lying in the ocean with your scrotum in the air...

eggshaped
166286.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote

Question: Miniten is a tennis-like game in which boxes called "thugs" are used instead of rackets, the court is about half the size of a normal tennis court, but what is quite interesting about the kits the players wear?

Answer: They don't wear one, it's a game which is exclusive to naturist sites.

British Naturism Association

Also, why do naturists all play volleyball? That site says "Volleyball is a team sport that lends itself to the naturist world", but I don't see why it does more than, say, rounders or hide and seek.

eggshaped
166293.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote

According to that site:

Quote:
it is not illegal to be naked in a public place in this country

Well, it's a sunny day...

Gray
166311.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote

It's all about 'intention', basically:

http://www.n-2.org.uk/nuff/pages/legal/soa.htm

Although they warn:
Quote:
A conviction for Exposure is possible even in cases where there is no actual victim and where no-one was caused "alarm or distress".

The case law they mention, which will no doubt work as precedence from now on is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5014450.stm

And here's the Public Order Act, 1986:

http://www.n-2.org.uk/nuff/pages/legal/public.htm

eggshaped
166327.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote

If we did include some naturist material, we should address the most frequently asked question:

Quote:
Do men ever become aroused during their first visit?

This is an age-old question among people who have not experienced naturism. Nudity in sun clubs is not sexually stimulating, and being naked in a social environment for the first time will give you plenty else to think about. If this is your worry, try it - you'll be OK.

Flash
166331.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote

So what's the point of going to the meeting at all, then?

MatC
166440.  Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
If we did include some naturist material, we should address the most frequently asked question:

Quote:
Do men ever become aroused during their first visit?

This is an age-old question among people who have not experienced naturism. Nudity in sun clubs is not sexually stimulating, and being naked in a social environment for the first time will give you plenty else to think about. If this is your worry, try it - you'll be OK.

That is just so obviously not true, isn't it?

MatC
166441.  Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 am Reply with quote

On the legal thing, people have been arrested for being nude in their own gardens; if someone complains, you’ve had it, it seems (though my assumption is that, in practice, the complainant has to be female for the police to act).

Page 1 of 1