New Zealand.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jumper
100567.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote

Jumper was here.

(in fact he still is)

(and has been for 17 years)

(which is longer than a lot of people serving 'life' imprisonment have served)

(and at some stage he will start posting some QI facts about the place)

(but not tonight as it is now Monday morning already)

(and he is going to go to bed)

(so he just stopped to say...)

Jumper was here.

swot
100615.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote

(nice brackets)

Jumper
100956.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Maui was a demi-god, who lived in Hawaiiki. He possessed magic powers that not all of his family knew about.

One day when he was very young, he hid in the bottom of his brothers' boat in order to go out fishing with them. Once out at sea, Maui was discovered by his brothers, but they were not able to take him back to shore as Maui made use of his magic powers, making the shoreline seem much further away than it was in reality.

So the brothers continued rowing, and once they were far out into the ocean Maui dropped his magic fishhook over the side of the waka (canoe). After a while he felt a strong tug on the line. This seemed to be too strong a tug to be any ordinary fish, so Maui called to his brothers for assistance.

After much straining and pulling, up suddenly surfaced Te Ika a Maui (the fish of Maui), known today as the North Island of New Zealand. Maui told his brothers that the Gods might be angry about this, and he asked his brothers to wait while he went to make peace with the Gods.

However, once Maui had gone his brothers began to argue among themselves about the possession of this new land. They took out their weapons and started pounding away at the catch. The blows on the land created the many mountains and valleys of the North Island today.

The South Island is known as Te Waka a Maui (the waka of Maui). Stewart Island, which lies at the very bottom of New Zealand, is known as Te Punga a Maui (Maui's anchor), as it was the anchor holding Maui's waka as he pulled in the giant fish.

As a result of this the South Island of New Zealand is also often referred to as the Mainland.

Jenny
101277.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote

So did the Maoris make it to Hawaii? There's a place called Maui there.

cabs
101284.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

In fact an entire island. Where, rather disappointingly, it rained on me when I visited for 5 days in May 2005. However, I did cycle down a volcano and play indoor luminescent miniature golf, so it wasn't all bad.

suze
101321.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

Maui did, certainly - he is the main hero of just about all canons of Polynesian mythology. And I don't suppose it's a complete coincidence that the Maui of the Maori legend related above lived in a place called Hawaiiki.

Quite apart from the North Island of New Zealand, Maui seems to have used his fishhook to create Hawaii as well. Anthropologists believe that Hawaii was uninhabited until as recently as around 1000 AD, when settlers arrived from the Marquesas Islands. Those islands seem in turn to have been originally settled by travellers from Samoa, whence the first inhabitants of New Zealand are supposed also to have come.

Lumpo31
101447.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote

On funny postcards, New Zealanders refer to Australia as the West Island.

Lisa

BondiTram
101559.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

Lisa

And Tasmania is West Island's anchor, I suppose? Used when they pulled up PNG!

Lumpo31
101602.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
Lumpo31 wrote:

Lisa

And Tasmania is West Island's anchor, I suppose? Used when they pulled up PNG!

I was thinking about that when I posted before. Not the anchor bit, but what is it they reckon Tasmania to be.

Anchor sounds good though.

Lisa

96aelw
101604.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote

That's not based on any kind of rhyming slang for its inhabitants, is it?

Jumper
101883.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

Lisa

Quite right, New Zealand's main islands are North Island, South Island (Mainland), Stuart Island, Chatham Islands to the East, Auckland Islands further south and the Western Island (Australia). Also included is Raoul Island which is approx half way from the top of the North Island to Fiji.

BondiTram
101960.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote

96aelw wrote:

Could well be, it is rather wooded I understand so to call them 'plankers' would be quite logical

Lumpo31
102169.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
96aelw wrote:

Could well be, it is rather wooded I understand so to call them 'plankers' would be quite logical

Or given the Cascade Brewery is there, how about 'tankers"?

Lisa

BondiTram
102350.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:16 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
[

Lisa

Or given the renowned politeness of the inhabitants, how about 'thankers'?

No, hang on a minute, we are talking about Australians here!

Jumper
102630.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
Lumpo31 wrote:
[

Lisa

Or given the renowned politeness of the inhabitants, how about 'thankers'?

No, hang on a minute, we are talking about Australians here!

I felt the key part of your message was a bit too subtle (Especially for any Auzzies !!!) so took the liberty of making it large enough for them to read - poor things have enough trouble as it is...

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next