View previous topic | View next topic

GERMANY

Page 4 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

samivel
149385.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote

Blimey. If that's right (good work, ali!), then I'm closer to being right than I would have thought possible.

ali
149391.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote

If it's right. I think we are all aware of how fiendish Hans Mof can be. :)

Hans Mof
149402.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote

ali wrote:
I think we are all aware of how fiendish Hans Mof can be.

Thank you for noticing. ;)

However, it is right. You can now concentrate on question 1 and 3. No correct answers for Q3 have come in so far though, 96aelw earned himself a point for making me laugh.

Jenny
149431.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Number 1 - I'll go with Schadenfreude, just because it looks so obviously like the only German word there that I'm sure there's a klaxon involved somewhere.

Ali's answer to number 2 looks seriously impressive to me, so I'll agree with that.

Scribbling out my answer here!

Last edited by Jenny on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Dr Hudebnik
149433.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote

Hans the 'Germany' question is a little unfair considering that you qualify it in your answer. You should have said 'once called' or some such parameter. Germany is called 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland' that's it.

Also, Heligoland was never part of the UK, so 'UK' cannot be considered a correct answer. It was once administered by the British, but that's something different.

costean
149444.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote

If the British are lacking anything they simply pinch someone else's, wait a discreet interval and call it British.

This works with ideas, inventions, words, continents etc.

Heligoland is simply like large sections of the globe - it was British, but we had to give it back.

Mr Grue
149476.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote

costean wrote:
If the British are lacking anything they simply pinch someone else's, wait a discreet interval and call it British.

Then get forced to give it back, so declare all the inhabitants to be migrant workers, deport them "home", then sell the island lock, stock and state-bankrupted copra farm to the United States.

*cough*

BondiTram
149492.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote

costean wrote:

Heligoland is simply like large sections of the globe - it was British, but we had to give it back.

Rotten buggers though we may have been at other times I am forced to leap to the defence of the Britons here.
This thread forced me to google Heligoland and very interesting it was too.
It seems Britain came into possession during the Napoleonic wars and relinquished control much later in a swop deal involving Germany and France. This deal, the Heligoland-Zanzibar Treaty, apparently shows my forbears in a rare altruistic light. It was swopped for Zanzibar with Germany (or to persuade Germany to relinquish a claim) and also involved cession of part of Madagascar to France.
The reason? To enable Britain to more effectively police the ban on the slave trade on the East African coast. Hooray for the Brits!

And as far as giving it back to the original owners was concerned, hardly, they were Frisians. Although, fair enough I do believe the current population is largely Frisian speaking Frisians.

They are apparently not seeking independence, so all's well that ends well.

Dr Hudebnik
149494.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Hey, I just wanted me points back! Heligoland was never part of the UK as our quizmeister claimed.

PS. I think Brits are nice buggers, apart from those that hang out in in our high street sinking cans of ciders and robbing people but we can't blame Britain for them!

costean
149533.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Dr Hudebnik wrote:
Hey, I just wanted me points back! Heligoland was never part of the UK as our quizmeister claimed.

I have a feeling that the Quizmeister can do exactly as he pleases, under the 'My Authority is Absolute' rule.

Quote:
PS. I think Brits are nice buggers, apart from those that hang out in in our high street sinking cans of ciders and robbing people but we can't blame Britain for them!

Re the last lot, I agree, but unfortunately we have nowhere left that we can deport them to; so we are stuck with them.

Anyway enough of chat about empires (there is a thread in the 'E' section for those who are minded).

Back to the questions.

costean wrote:
I think okay comes via Dutch.

Have you gone mad costean? In fact I have remembered where I read about the origins of this word.

The earliest recorded use of this word was in The Boston Morning Post in 1839. From a report about 'a frolicsome group' called The Anti-Bell Ringing Society which was campaigning to get a law banning the ringing of dinner bells rescinded (don't ask). It seems to have been short for 'oll korrect' a fanciful way of writing 'all correct'.

This was then picked up by followers of the Democrat candidate in the 1840 presidential election. The supporters of Martin Van Buren formed the Democrat OK Club. OK in this instance standing for Van Buren's nickname, 'Old Kinderhook'. He lost, by the way.

S: Port Out, Starboard Home - Michael Quinnion

I am assuming that 'okay' is a variation of 'OK' and if so this would make it the odd one out as it is a North American invention.

Hans Mof
149649.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Germany is called 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland' that's it.

Sorry, but no. Germany is called Deutschland. You wont find many who refer to Germany as Bundesrepublik Deutschland or Federal Republic of Germany. Deutschland and Bundesrepublik Deutschland may be interchangeable in everyday speach but as a nitpick, pedant and translator I have to insist on the difference between these terms.

As for Heligoland: Okay, it wasnt a part of the UK but it was a British possession at the time that Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote Das Lied der Deutschen. The lyrics are an integral part to the National Anthem. Therefor, the answer Austria wasnt incorrect (it still earned a point) but incomplete.

Quote:
I have a feeling that the Quizmeister can do exactly as he pleases, under the 'My Authority is Absolute' rule.

Costean is right there, Im afraid. ;)

Id be happy to discuss this (and any other contentious issue that might arise (and I'm sure they will arise)) further when were done with this quiz (Saturday) but for now, lets get back to it.[/i]

PS: Why has no one complained about the rather tenuous border-with-Belgium-question, though?

samivel
149654.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Well, all right then: that Belgium/Germany border question was well out of order.

:)

ali
149671.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was an excellent question. <counts points and tries vainly not to look smug>

Jumper
149680.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Interim report

Two question have been answered correctly so far. However, the klaxon rang five times so far.

For the Belgium question Ill accept answers that explain why the length is different than expected (you can be daringly imaginative here, no klaxon to be afraid of).

As for the international telephone code:
00; 011; 09 ...
arent international telephone codes but codes that preceed international codes (I hope you know what I mean, dont know what they are called (access code?)).

Hans - you are quite right when talking about international telephone codes - 49 is the code for Germany, the earlier numbers - whatever they are - are indeed the international access codes - NewZealand (-64) uses 00 same as UK.. The second of the 0's tells the exchange that the number being dialled is to be directed overseas (in other words treating ALL overseas numbers as a seperate 'Area' Code).

New Zealand telephone exchanges, for example, recognise 09 as the area code for Auckland, 04 for Wellington, 03 for the South Island, and 00 for an 'Outside Line'...

Jumper
149686.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote

Second quiz...

Q1 The odd one out is Okay - because it is not a noun.

Q3. - I've PMed you an answer...

Page 4 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next