View previous topic | View next topic

GERMANY

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Hans Mof
148570.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Being German I should have started this thread a good time earlier. However, since it is perfectly possible that I‘m biased toward everything German I‘d like to see the foroQIsts hunting down facts, factlets and factoids while I lean back. Therefore, here starts the

QI Deutschland Quiz
you like quizzes, don‘t you?

In the course of the following week there will be Germany related questions (with quite some Klaxons waiting), I hope you enjoy.

First set of questions: tomorrow at 14:00 CET

Dr Hudebnik
148663.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote

Excellent. I'm looking forward to this!

Hans Mof
148764.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

Here we go. The first batch of questions.

Basic Knowledge and General Ignorance

1. In which country was the German National Anthem written and what is its opening line?

2. True or false? Germany is a land that starts with ‘D‘.

3. How many kilometres of border does Germany share with its neighbour Belgium?

4. Germany‘s international telephone code is 49. Which other telephone code connects you with Germany?

The first correct answer is awarded 5 points, the second 2 points and subsequent entries can still earn 1 point. Klaxons lead to a 10 point deduction.

Feel free to answer the questions here on the board but, be careful not to copy other people‘s answers (there are quite some klaxons waiting). Deadline Tuesday 13:00 CET.

I‘ll post the answers, the score so far and the next set of questions tomorrow at 14:00 CET.

Enjoy

Your Quizmeister

Dr Hudebnik
148776.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote

[quote="Hans Mof"]Here we go. The first batch of questions.

Basic Knowledge and General Ignorance

1. I'm gong to guess Austria, since the melody is by Haydn. I only know the second setting (op. 76, I think) written when he was in Vienna.

Well, this part is one of those trick Q.I.-style questions. The original first line was 'Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser'. But I think a distinction ought to be made between anthems and their melodies. Strictly speaking, I would think that 'Deutschland, Deutschland über alles' should be given as a correct answer. Or is there another verse I don't know!?

2. Too easy. False, is the answer.

3. Stab in the dark. 80 miles?

4. I don't know if this has changed with 'the changes' but 30 is the code for Berlin, still in Germany.

Maybe I should make a Czech one of these...

Thanks so much for the quiz! Please make another, maybe about a particular region of Germany.

Mulvil
148782.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote

2. German is a land that begins with "D"

Surely true? Dutschland begins with D

Mulvil
148785.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote

1. Well I'd agree on austria being the place the melody was written but not sure about the words. The melody was actually that of the old austrian imperial anthem "God save Franz the Emporer" (to put it in english). The first line above is correct as far as I know but into English for those who don't speak German (I don't either by the way) "Germany, Germany above all,"

Mulvil
148791.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote

3. Googled it and got 153.4km as the border shared between Germany and Belgium

And

4. it depends where you are calling from really, if I am calling from Ireland the code is 0049, thats the same if you are calling from the uk or nearly anywhere else in the world for that matter.

However if I was to be calling Germany from the US the code would be 01149.
I know I'm being just a bit pedantic there but heres a link for it

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/

Canada also works on the US code to Germany.

Just two more examples, from the Central African republic I'd have to dial 1949 to reach Germany and from south Africa I'd need to dial 0949 or 09149

Dr Hudebnik
148795.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote

Regarding quesiton 4, I think the European codes are implied here...

Mulvil
148797.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote

I thought they were alright, I did say I was just being pedantic (I love that word)

costean
148809.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote

1. The lyrics were written by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben in Helgoland. The music is by Haydn (as above).

The first line is 'Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit' which I believe is also the motto of Germany.

2. False

3. 156 km

96aelw
148871.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote

1. Yes, Austria and "Einigkeit etc." for me. A passing German once informed me that the line about German overalls used to kick things off, but was removed after it was taken a little too literally by a Mr Hilter, or some such name.

2. I think Costean must be right, but I haven't a clue as to why. Best guess is the uber-pedantic one that, while "Deutschland" might be a land that begins with a D (although it probably isn't for reasons I cannot currently fathom), "Germany", as mentioned in the question, definitely begins with a G.

costean
148877.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote

Re 2. There is a distinct lack of working here and if Costean is right he hasn't a clue as to why either.

A vague idea was that it is officially The Federal Republic of Germany, although this doesn't seem quite right. I suspect there is deeper ignorance here.

Dr Hudebnik
148894.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Yes, you're getting there Costaen. I used to live and Germany and have great memories of that country. This was some time ago and was before 'the changes' and so I take close note of the subtleties: 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland', so first letter is 'B'.

suze
148940.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Excellent questions Jan. I've come late to this having been traveling for most of the afternoon, but I'll have a stab ...

1. The German national anthem is correctly called Das Lied der Deutschen. Only the third verse is the official national anthem, but I shall refrain from suggesting that the opening line is thus "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" as that's probably a klaxon. The second verse is even sillier than the second verse of God save the Queen.

As for where it was written, Haydn was living in Vienna at the time he wrote the tune so I'll say "the Holy Roman Empire", while von Fallersleben wrote the words in Heligoland which at that time formed part of the United Kingdom.

2. I'll go for "true". Germany is correlate with the German word Deutschland; had B been the intended answer then the question would have read "Federal Republic of Germany".

3. Let's have a stab at none. I'm guessing that the border has been entirely dismantled since the Schengen agreement, and is now only visible on maps.

4. I've no idea about this, but I'm going to guess that the old dialing code for the former East Germany (37) still works.

Hans Mof
148943.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Interim report

Two question have been answered correctly so far. However, the klaxon rang five times so far.

For the Belgium question I‘ll accept answers that explain why the length is different than expected (you can be daringly imaginative here, no klaxon to be afraid of).

As for the international telephone code:
00; 011; 09 ...
aren‘t international telephone codes but codes that preceed international codes (I hope you know what I mean, don‘t know what they are called (access code?)).

Page 1 of 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next