View previous topic | View next topic

X (?)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Bondee
148494.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

Other than the Xerus, a type of African ground squirrel, does any other animal's name begin with the letter X?

samivel
148540.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote

X-ray fish?

Hans Mof
148560.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Xenops a South American bird
Xenopus an African frog
Xoloitzcuintli Mexican hairless dog
Xenoconger an Indo-Pacific false moray

Spinoza
148572.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Xiphosura, a horseshoe crab (which isn't actually a crab, it's an Arachnid)

Xysticus, a spider ( a different kind of Arachnid from the above)

Xiphodont, an extinct family of camel-like animals

Xenungulate, an extinct order known from fossils in S.America

Xiphias, the swordfish

thePhantom
149560.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote

there's the xenarthra order - which includes 4 families of mammals; anteaters, armadillos, 2toed and 3toed sloths.

King of Quok
150516.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote

The xiphoid fish include the swordfish. If we're allwoing dinosaurs into the fold, I think Xiaosaurus is one of the few non-dubious or disputed 'X' dinosaurs we could throw in.

Unlike 'Quagga', which, before it had the indecency to go extinct, used to fill a useful hole in nursery animal alphabets under 'Q', 'X' always seems to have been a stumbling block, unless resorting to Latin names. 'Xerus' made it in to one terribly middle-class animal alphabet I recall, though most content themselves with 'as in foX' or some such cobblers. I think, since 'Xerus' is a Latin generic name, Samivel's 'X-ray fish' is the only true 'common' name you'd get away with.

Spinoza
150542.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote

I've never heard of the X-ray fish, though.

King of Quok
150931.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Spinoza wrote:
I've never heard of the X-ray fish, though.

It's actually listed in the OED, and it's a fairly common aquarium fish (largely out of curiosity valure, I guess, since it is more or less transparent, and you can see its internal workings). The small catfish Kryopterus bichirris can be referred to as an X-ray fish, but it's usually applied to the tetra Pristella maxillaris.

Spinoza
150942.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote

I presume that Kryopterus is the one more widely known as the Glass catfish? I wouldn't normally use the OED as a reference source for taxonomic questions, and I was thinking that X-rays were discovered in 1895, and most animals' trivial names were established before then. But thanks for the info.

King of Quok
151192.  Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote

No, I don't use the OED for that sort of thing either, but I should think that the people that compile animal alphabets for children are more likely to go by the dictionary than the weighty taxonomic zoological volumes either you or I have on our shelves. I think Kryopterus is also known as the glass catfish, but my knowledge of aquaria is not huge! I shoud think that 'X-ray fish' is a reasonably recent common name for the species in question, but the comparison must have been too tempting for casual observers once Roentgen rays had entered the public consciousness. If scientific names (particularly those bestowed on molluscs, fish and dinosaurs) can shift or be duplicated or repealed, I think it totally natural that the more informal common names can adapt or alter. It would sound a bit daft still referring to the 'Abyssinian Wolf' instead of the 'Ethiopian Wolf', I suppose, or to have to find an alternative name for the 'Dumbo octopus' because of the late-twentieth-century-pop-cultural reference in its name.

Sebastian flyte
268646.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote

Spinoza wrote:

Xiphias, the swordfish

I had that swordfish one on my animal alphabet sorting toy with pockets to put the cute felt animals in.

King of Quok
268979.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Oh, Sebastian, I have such a wonderful image of your childhood! Please tell me you had a nanny like the ones in One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing and a rocking-horse out of a Rumer Godden book too!

Efros
536223.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote

Hmm surprised not to see Xebu here.

samivel
536237.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote

That's probably because most people would spell it 'zebu'.

:)

Efros
536407.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next