View previous topic | View next topic

Europe/ Wealthiest place

Page 1 of 1

Vitali
148289.  Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote

A possible General Ignorance question: "What's Europe's (or the world's) wealthiest spot?"
The obvious answers are Nice, Monaco, other "millionaires playgrounds", London's Bishop's Avenue or Roman Abramovich's country mansion. All wrong.
It is a very litttle known fact, yet, officially, Europe's (and the world's) wealthiest spot is Jungholz - a small Austrian village in the Bavarian Alps, surrounded by Germany. By definition, it is a semi-enclave, for although it is connected to Austria by a goat path going through a mountain peak, it is only ACCESSIBLE from Germany. Jungholz's status allows the brancnes of Germany's three largest banks to operate from its territory while applying Austria's strict privacy regulations, second in their toughness only to the Swiss ones - the fact that makes the village an extremely lucrative spot for investors and money-launderers. The amount of capital investment per person (and this is how the "wealthiness" of this or that place is routinely measured), makes Jungholz, with fewer than 300 residents, the world's wealthiest place!

Sources: own research

Last edited by Vitali on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

eggshaped
148299.  Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote

Yes this is excellent, I'd have fallen for every single forfeit.

Could be a good final GI question, especially if we started with the enclave stuff and came round the full circle.

Vitali
148388.  Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. Much appreciated. I visited Jungholz and spoke with the German bankers there. It is a truly unique place.

Flash
148484.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

Vitali wrote:
spoke with the German bankers there

Did you ask if you could borrow some money? I would have.

Page 1 of 1