View previous topic | View next topic

Executions

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

MatC
165168.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote

After the Gordon Riots in 1780, 25 protestors were sentenced to hang. One of them was, as luck would have it ... a public hangman. Edward Dennis was granted a pardon “in order that he may hang his brother rioters.”

S: Characters of Fitzrovia by Pentelow and Rowe (Pimlico, 2002).

Gray
165180.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Elvis also goes about in womans cloathes in Bristol

You never seen me and a transvestite Elvis in the same room together... right?

MatC
165216.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote

The Cato Street conspirators, executed in 1820, died with some dignity. Thomas Brunt spurned the blindfold, took a pinch of snuff and said some fine words about liberty. James Ings, according to a contemporary account, was “perhaps too obstreperous in singing ‘Death or Liberty,’ and Thistlewood [Arthur, one of his co-condemned] said ‘Be quiet, Ings; we can die without all this noise.’”

That’s what I call laid-back last words.

S: Characters of Fitzrovia by Pentelow and Rowe (Pimlico, 2002).

eggshaped
171069.  Tue May 01, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote

This is the guy who I mentioned at the meeting. I claimed that he deliberately put on weight to avoid the gallows. It is certainly true that he was deemed too heavy to hang, and that he put on a lot of weight (around 100 lbs) between his arrest and his date of hanging; however the article claims that it was due to a medical condition, not due to deliberate overeating.

I claimed something else at the meeting which I was going to check. Can anyone else remember what it was, so I can shoot that fox also?

Flash
171071.  Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote

I'll send you the minute in a minute, but maybe it was the hieroglyphics.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2