View previous topic | View next topic

Capgras Syndrome

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
20803.  Wed May 25, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote

Now before you say anything, I know this has been brought up by Gray post 13501, and Garrick post 2352, in the past. But the reason I'm dredging old ground will become apparent:

Capgras Syndrome is a rather distressing syndrome which causes its victims to conclude a loved one has been replaced by an impostor – one of the most famous cases involved a Welshman named (wait for it…) Alan Davies.

Quote:
Following a car crash in September 1995 Alan Davies became convinced that his wife of 31 years died in the accident and had been replaced by someone with whom he did not want to share his life. Diagnosed as suffering from Capgras syndrome, Mr Davies was awarded £130,000 damages after it was claimed that his rare psychiatric syndrome was caused by the crash that he and his wife, Christine, had survived. Despite suffering only minor physical injury he came to regard his wife, whom he now called Christine II, as an imposter and became stressed by any show of affection (de Bruxelles, 1999).

http://www.cf.ac.uk/psych/home/bellv1/pubs/BellHalliganEllis2003.txt

Flash
20841.  Wed May 25, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Hilarious but (regrettably) tragic also - and so unusable, I would say. So if you could just tell the real eggshaped ...

eggshaped
20855.  Thu May 26, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote

Yes, Alas. I thought as much.

I love the fact that he called his wife Christine II - sounds like she could be the Queen of Bolton.

Page 1 of 1