View previous topic | View next topic

Eating/Strauss

Page 1 of 1

Bunter
146752.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote

Q: What inspired German composer Richard Strauss to write his ballet Schlagobers?

A: Whipped cream. (Schlagobers is German for whipped cream.)

Richard Strauss (June 11, 1864 – September 8, 1949) is best known for one of the world’s most popular pieces of classical music: Also sprach Zarathustra, op. 30.

It memorably opens Stanley Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You can listen to it here:

http://www.moviesounds.com/2001/2001theme.wav

(Strauss was inspired to write Also sprach Zarathustra (or Thus Spoke Zarathustra) by Friedrich Nietzsche’s book of the same title.)

Strauss was a German composer and conductor noted for his tone poems and operas.

Schlagobers was a ballet and includes such numbers as "Whipped cream waltz”, “Dance of the little pralines” and “Jump dance of the Crackers”.

It did not go down well:

Quote:
More conventionally structured than Joseph, with set dance numbers, the ballet depicts the dream of a young man who has eaten too many sugary sweets. Premiered in Vienna in celebration of the composer's 60th birthday in 1924, the lavish cost of the production aroused hostility in a city that was suffering serious economic deprivations

Strauss also wanted to write a piece of work about another Austrian delicacy: boiled beef, but never did as he thought that a further composition dedicated to Austrian food would offend his fans in Germany.

Strauss's favourite type of boiled beef was Beinfleisch, a cut from the leg.

Strauss would have eaten Beinfleisch at the then internationally famous restaurant Meissl & Schadn. It served not one, but twenty four different varieties of boiled beef, of which Beinfleisch was one variety.

The reason Meissl & Schadn was so popular was due to its superb quality of beef. The restaurant owned cattle that lived inside a sugar refinery in a village north of Vienna. The steers were fed on sugar beet mash and molasses which gave their meat extraordinary taste and texture. (We could link this to the Kobe beef general ignorance question).

Quote:
"Before Allied bombs were dropped on Meissl and Schadn's in March 1945, this most famous of Vienna's beef restaurants had been a place where the whole ritual of cooking and eating boiled beef could be seen. The restaurant's two floors catered to two pocketbooks of sharply contrasted size... But it was the formalities of eating that were so interesting. These were many and they were never questioned. Only those who didn't know better ordered "boiled beef" pure and simple. To do so was to invite contempt of waiters and any habitues who might be within earshot, as there were 24 varieties of beef to choose from, all for boililng yet all different. One was expected to be precise in one's order. Each of Meissl and Schadn's famous customers from Gustav Mahler to Richard Strausss had his own particular cut and every waiter knew what it was."

Music and food have inspired each other throughout history. As you know several dishes were inspired by musicians.

They include:

Peach Melba: Created in the late 1800s by Auguste Escoffier for Australian opera singer Dame Nellie Melba. It is worth mentioning that this was merely her stage name…she was christened Helen Porter Mitchell.

Melba toast: Also by Escoffier for Dame Nellie

Pavlova: Named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova

Tournedos Rossini: Dedicated to food-loving Italian composer Gioachino Rossini

Sole Verdi, named after Giusppe Verdi (or “Joe Green”, in English)

Mozart Kugel (chocolates)

Enrico Caruso gave his name to a spaghetti dish with chicken livers

Lillian Nordica gave her name to roast chicken with ham and stuffing

Sources:
The Cooking of Vienna's Empire by Joseph Wechsberg, Time-Life Books, NY 1968
Source:http://www.iclassics.com/featureArticle?contentId=464
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame_Nellie_Melba
http://www.richard-strauss.com/introe.html
Choice Cuts, Mark Kurlansky, Vintage

eggshaped
146767.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

Link to "lick my arse" by Mozart

Bunter
146780.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote

Yes. Lick my arse was never used...

Bunter
148665.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote

Perhaps the notes should be on Strauss, but we ask the question:

Q: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote a song about licking. Can you please tell me what it was about?

A:Licking his bottom.

Notes:
It's hard to reconcile the fact that one of the world's most profoundly gifted composers had a scatological sense of humour. But surprising as it may seem, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (christened Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart) was as fond of faecal matters as your average nursery schooler.

While there are hundreds of examples of Mozart's taste for the crude, lewd and rude, the finest must surely be his canons "Leck mich im Arsch" ("Lick my arse") and "Leck mich im Arsch fein recht schan saubera, meaning "Lick me in the arse nice and clean".

Indeed, the first of the canons mentioned - "Leck mich im Arsch" - includes the immortal line "Lick my arse beautifully, really clean, lick it; that's an oily desire, it's only good smeared with butter". Historians believe that this phrase was latterly changed by his wife, Constanze, to "Nothing refreshes me more than wine" at the request of his (conservative) publishers.

Mozart's bawdy tastes exhibit themselves best in his extensive letter writing. He made references to excrement and urination in almost 40 of the 371 letters we have on record. His two favourite words? "Muck" and "piddle".

Bizarrely, some of his crudest references are to be found in his letters to his cousin, Maria Anna Thekla Mozart ,otherwise known as "The Basle". But rather than revealing a man with a penchant for inter family breeding, Mozart fans believe his use of coarse language was an excepted way for 18th century intelligentsia to rally against the stifling social conventions of their day.

Reassuringly, Mozart's lewd legacy lives on in name and spirit. To celebrate the bicentenary of Mozart's death in 1991, a company called Triumph International, Japan's second-largest lingerie company, made a musical bra with blinking lights which played 20 seconds of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Although Triumph's intentions were commendable, they made a classic error by attributing "Twinkle Twinkle" to Mozart. Although Mozart composed variations on the melody, the lyrics were written by London based sisters Jane and Anne Taylor and the melody was originally French.

The Pogues were initially called "Pogue Mahone". In Irish, this also means... 'Kiss my arse'.

Quote:
Quote:
Besides, to people I'm tied
Who carry their muck inside
And let it out, if they are able,
Both before and after table.
At night of farts there is no lack,
Which are let off, forsooth, with a powerful crack.
The king of farts came yesterday
Whose farts smelt sweeter than the may [honey].

Mozart, in a letter to his mother, dated 31 January 1778

eggshaped
148691.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote

I prefer the straight question Who wrote "Lick My Arse"?

Bunter
148695.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer the straight question Who wrote "Lick My Arse"?

How would you answer that as a comedian though? You've only got one route to go down...and that's to list names of people who want their botties licked. It will be too rude and libellous for our 8.30 transmission, and will get canned.

On the other hand, you've got millions of possibilities from the (much more open and less vulgar) previously stated question IMHO.

eggshaped
148698.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote

Fair enough, would be good to us lot who can watch the un-cut show though. :)

Page 1 of 1