View previous topic | View next topic

Empires

Page 1 of 1

MatC
146751.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

Julius Caesar was never emperor, according to a learned-sounding letter in the Sunday Telegraph (10.9.06).

He was named Dictator Perpetuus in February 44BC - and assassinated the following month. The first roman emperor was Augustus (formerly Octavius), nephew of Julius, in 31BC.

Flash
146832.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

Yes - in fact, didn't he make rather an issue of arranging for people to make speeches in the Senate urging him to become Emperor and then saying "Who, me? Good heavens, nothing could be further from my mind."

MatC
146838.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

Nicholas Moseley’s 920 apparently includes a reference to “Emperor Christophe of Haiti who used for his amusement to march his crack troops over a cliff.”
(Sunday Telegraph, 10 Sep 06).

That would tie up with various similar examples of kingly crackpottery in the “eke names” thread.

MatC
146839.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Yes - in fact, didn't he make rather an issue of arranging for people to make speeches in the Senate urging him to become Emperor and then saying "Who, me? Good heavens, nothing could be further from my mind."

Cromwell refused the throne as well, didn't he? (Though not of Rome).

eggshaped
146841.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote

Cromwell was known in correspondance as "Your Highness"

s: BBC History Jan07

Flash
146867.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote

So was Mrs Cromwell, according to the wiki article on Highness.

(I feel like editing the page to include a disambiguation option for "Height", but sha'n't).

NB v precise use of apostrophes in the above.

MatC
147424.  Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote

The British Empire has got bigger: Montagu island, an uninhabited Sandwich Island 1,500 miles east of the Falklands, increased by 50 acres between September and November 2005. The ice-covered island is crowned by a volcano; this has been erupting lava into the sea, where it solidifies.
S: FT213, quoting Daily Mail, 24 Nov 05.

Jenny
153592.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Emperors of Byzantium include Zeno, who was buried before he was entirely dead. He was so greatly hated that people ignored the cries for help for three days before they came to an end.

Then there was Theophilus III, aka The Reluctant. He was working as a tax collector in a town outside Istanbul when a bunch of mercenaries passed through on their way to depose the current Emperor. They asked his name: when he told them, they said 'Good name for an emperor' and took him with them and crowned him. He ruled for two years and was either stepped down or was deposed. He managed to survive, and lived out his life in a monastery in Ephesus, where he acquired a saintly reputation.

Source: Istanbul: the Imperial City by John Freely

Page 1 of 1