View previous topic | View next topic

Guys

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
154651.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

In Northern Ireland they burn a Lundy. He was:

Quote:
governer of Derry at the time of the Jacobean siege. Lundy had attempted to come to terms with the troops who had a stranglehold on the city but was prevented from doing so by a band of apprentice boys. In Derry, these events are commemorated twice a year, in December and in August. In December, an effigy of Lundy is publicly set aflame, following a day of band parades. This day, the Saturday closest to December 16, is known as Lundy Day and is at least in part the occasion for the public display of anti-Catholicism.

(from the last site cited by Mat - (O.E. matte, from L.L. matta "mat made of rushes" (4c.), probably from Punic or Phoenician (cf. Heb. mittah "bed, couch"). Meaning "piece of padded flooring used in gymnastics or wrestling" is attested from 1903. Matted "tangled and lying flat" (of hair, etc.) is from 1613) - above).

MatC
154846.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
I remain tantalised .

Yes, must admit, so am I ... there’s definitely som-

Eponymous! That’s what we need - a thread (or Fred, in the original, no doubt) called “Eponymous,” in which guys and others can frolic merrily without fearing they might be boycotted by decent-minded folk, and without having to hide behind caveats.

Flash
154858.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote

Eponyms: people who are named after themselves.

Vitali
155573.  Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

I am still of the opinions that the originates from a common ancient French name "Guy" - promounced [ggee] - that with time came to denote first a French male (in a somewhat derogatory manner) and then a male in general (compare: Rusian "Fritz" for Germans).

MatC
162327.  Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote

One of Humphrey Lyttelton’s ancestors (also called Humphrey Lyttelton) was executed along with Guy Fawkes.
- Western Daily Press, 22 March 07.

Flash
164250.  Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Still keen to make this one fly, so, for the notes:

the word geyser comes from the name of one particular hot spring in Iceland. 'Geysa' was Old Norse for 'gush'.

Icelandic joke: Man's car breaks down, he calls the AA. AA guy comes, says "It looks like you've blown a seal." "No no," says the man, "I just have frost on my moustache."

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2