View previous topic | View next topic

DELETED

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dotcom
21419.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the plant that the banana grows on is a herb.

Caradoc
21427.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

ginger.sonny wrote:
don't you just hate people like that?

I think that the real Mr Fry can spell, I would suggest giving the warning again & if he doesn't stop publish his e-mail address so that we can express our feelings towards this sort of foolishness in full

Caradoc
21429.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Beehive wrote:
I'm not joking- I really did read that.

I'm sure you did read it but is eating fruit going to stop you dying, or as claimed by politicians will banning smoking in public places prevent 10's of thousands of deaths? (no axe to grind here, I've been nicotine free for 8 months today)

If these figures are true our pension industry is in deep trouble.

I was interest to note on a recent flight that the government clamp down on terrorism has been so successful that we can now fly without surrendering our leathal weapons like nail files & nail scissors.

Flash
21432.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote

To answer matt's question, the banana is botanically a berry and the plant it grows on is a herb.

Jenny
21443.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Carl - I warned him once, on the thread and in a private message, and when he reappeared with that name I sent him another private message saying that he was welcome to re-register with another name, and banned him from the site with that one.

I'm that hard, me. <flexes moderator muscles>

Natalie
21469.  Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I find it's a bit sad, posting as a celebrity, especially Stephen Fry, because as Carl said, he can spell. Not just missing the odd words, but nearly a whole mis-spelled post is obvious.

Beehive
21518.  Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Carl wrote:

I'm sure you did read it but is eating fruit going to stop you dying, or as claimed by politicians will banning smoking in public places prevent 10's of thousands of deaths?

You read this sort of stuff all the time (such and such a move will stop people dying/stop deaths). Just to clarify once and for all, I am not that stupid.

Caradoc
21521.  Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote

Beehive wrote:
You read this sort of stuff all the time (such and such a move will stop people dying/stop deaths). Just to clarify once and for all, I am not that stupid.

Sorry my mistake, I misinterpreted the emphasis in your post.

But I wish journalists & politicians would not be that stupid

Reader
23091.  Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote

This thread reads rather like a reasonably recent television advert for the Sunday Times (I believe it was).

Reader
23095.  Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Oh, and Carl, I would not say that a common contraction of words to prevent simple ideas being expressed in a circumlocutory way, is, in fact, necessarily indicative of a lack of intelligence in the mind of the person or persons reported to have used said words or phrases in the manner about which you expressed opprobrium.

Caradoc
23198.  Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Reader wrote:
Oh, and Carl, I would not say that a common contraction of words to prevent simple ideas being expressed in a circumlocutory way, is, in fact, necessarily indicative of a lack of intelligence in the mind of the person or persons reported to have used said words or phrases in the manner about which you expressed opprobrium.

You are a sophisticated rhetorician clearly inebriated by the exuberance or your own verbosity

Posital
435168.  Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote

Banana is a false berry - Wikipedia says so - it must be true.
Quote:
"The word berry has two meanings: one based on a botanical definition, the other on common identification. True (botanical) berries are a simple fruit having seeds and pulp produced from a single ovary. In common parlance, however, berries are more broadly recognized as small, round or semi-oblong, usually brightly colored, sweet or sour fruit."

So bananas now fail on both counts - botanically not a berry - and most people don't think it is... in the wiki table it's listed as a false berry.

Does this mean it's a berry, albeit a false one - or not a berry at all.

What has changed - did they originally fill their berry application form in fraudulently?

I think bananas need to know the truth about this alleged unbanana-like behaviour - bananagate begins?

PS: A competing authoritative quiz has already acknowledged this fact - see Tig's Quiz - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/autumnwatch/tigsquiz/blackberries.shtml

CB27
435227.  Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

Being Banana plants they were told to "walk away from the berries"

Drivian
857367.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote

Bananas are awesome cures for hangover! That's because, like Coke (the soda, smart ass), they're rich in potassium. Eat one before bed or just after waking up (and going back to bed).

Last edited by Drivian on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 am; edited 2 times in total

dr.bob
857420.  Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote

Does that mean it's impossible to get a hangover if you're drinking banana daiquiris? ;-)

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next