View previous topic | View next topic

DELETED

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dr.bob
16880.  Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
If you're scared of radiation don't go to live in Aberdeen.

I think there are plenty of other reasons to not live in Aberdeen :)

Frances wrote:
The granite of the Granite City has a higher rate of radiation than a dozen luminous watches.

True enough. Although it pales in comparison with the background level in Cornwall with all their lovely radon sloshing around.

One of the questions in my end of year exam when I studied Radiation Biology was:

"Many people protest at the levels of radiation from nuclear power stations that leak into the environment, yet these levels are orders of magnitude lower than naturally occuring levels in places such as Aberdeen and Cornwall. Discuss...."

Beehive
17455.  Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Quote:
Results revealed that those who took in more than 3,500 milligrams (mg) a day had a much lower incidence of fatal stroke than those who consumed less than 1,950 mg daily.

This seems to me to be a frustrating statistic in that it says nothing about how likely you are to have a fatal stroke in the first place. EG, if the relevant improvement in your prospects is in the order of 25%, is that banana milkshake with whipped cream and hundreds'n'thousands reducing your liability to a fatal stroke from one-in-a-million to one-in-a-million-two-hundred-and-fifty-thousand (which I wouldn't take seriously), or from one-in-four to one-in-five (which I might, if you added a scoop of rum'n'raisin ice cream)?

Every bit of dietary advice you ever see seems to have the same flaw.

I read the other day that eating five portions of fruit and veg a day reduces your chances of dying by up to 20%.

Flash
17480.  Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Beehive - having now met you briefly I take it that you are joking, but in case you aren't I'd just like to lodge my opinion that your chances of dying are in the order of 100% however much you eat up your greens, and likely to stay that way.

Beehive
18187.  Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm not joking- I really did read that.

Stephen Fry.
20523.  Thu May 19, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote

First Appearance on the site;
Glad everyone is reaping teh beenfits out of this frutiful seed
Good haevens, i never realised bananas were such an inegral part out our lives!!

Bananas are actually herbs if you look at the scentific definition, given from my friend Prof. James Rillatheric at Oxford University

Stephen Fry.
20524.  Thu May 19, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote

I must apologies to all those spellers out there!!

mattdaniels
21411.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote

Hello Stephen. At last nights recording of the new series, bananas came up again, when talking about which fruits were berry's. You said a banana is a berry because it has more than one seed inside it - so does that mean a banana is a berry AND a herb?

Jenny
21412.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote

Matt - that poster is using Stephen Fry as a username and is not actually the Stephen Fry who chairs QI. For exactly the reason that other posters will be confused by this, I asked him to stop using that username and eventually (when he kept using it) banned him from the site under that name. I don't know if he has re-registered with another username, as I asked him to do - I told him his contributions were welcome but explained that there were legal issues involved in representing himself to be somebody he was not.

ginger.sonny
21416.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote

don't you just hate people like that?

dotcom
21419.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the plant that the banana grows on is a herb.

Caradoc
21427.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

ginger.sonny wrote:
don't you just hate people like that?

I think that the real Mr Fry can spell, I would suggest giving the warning again & if he doesn't stop publish his e-mail address so that we can express our feelings towards this sort of foolishness in full

Caradoc
21429.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Beehive wrote:
I'm not joking- I really did read that.

I'm sure you did read it but is eating fruit going to stop you dying, or as claimed by politicians will banning smoking in public places prevent 10's of thousands of deaths? (no axe to grind here, I've been nicotine free for 8 months today)

If these figures are true our pension industry is in deep trouble.

I was interest to note on a recent flight that the government clamp down on terrorism has been so successful that we can now fly without surrendering our leathal weapons like nail files & nail scissors.

Flash
21432.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote

To answer matt's question, the banana is botanically a berry and the plant it grows on is a herb.

Jenny
21443.  Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Carl - I warned him once, on the thread and in a private message, and when he reappeared with that name I sent him another private message saying that he was welcome to re-register with another name, and banned him from the site with that one.

I'm that hard, me. <flexes moderator muscles>

Natalie
21469.  Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I find it's a bit sad, posting as a celebrity, especially Stephen Fry, because as Carl said, he can spell. Not just missing the odd words, but nearly a whole mis-spelled post is obvious.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next