Olympic poetry

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
146427.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

prize source

Quote:

Athens 1896:
First place winners were awarded a silver medal, an olive branch and a diploma. Those in second place were given a copper medal, a branch of laurel and a diploma.

I think third place got bugger-all.

We talked about this when we were posting questions for the interactive dvd.

post 21126

Last edited by eggshaped on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
146428.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

I just noticed, that youngest ever female gold-winner is called Marjorie G-string. Brilliant.

How are we going to shoe-horn this into "E" if we want it pre-GI?

MatC
146436.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote

E for Effort?

dr.bob
146462.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote

Excellence in sport? (for the loosest possible definition of sport)

Esoteric events?

Endeavours?

Since he won the medal for town planning, might it come under the loose heading of "Erections"?

eggshaped
146463.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Since he won the medal for town planning, might it come under the loose heading of "Erections"?

I think we have a winner. Hand that man a diploma.

dr.bob
146464.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote

Stuff the diploma, where's my olive branch?!

Bunter
146466.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote

It would be good in an 'Eccentrics' show. Otherwise, it's a great display of 'Excellence', 'Endeavours', or...most obviously..."Events"

dr.bob
146507.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Found another picture:

This is Werner March who pipped Charles Downing Lay to the gold medal with his design for the Reich Stadium in which the Olympics were held.

Again, not sure if the picture is contemporary with his medal, but he would have been 40, so probably not too far off.

eggshaped
146510.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Do we think that the immortal phrase "picture researchers" should be uttered at this point?

Well I'm going to do it anyway.

"Picture Researchers"

eggshaped
150884.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote

More Olympic stuff, this is a quite brilliant tale which I can't believe we've not covered before. Don't know where it would fit in the "E" series though.

At the St Louis olympics there were separate competitions for ethnic minorities called "Anthropology Days". Pygmies, Patagonians and some Native American tribes were not allowed to take part in the main games, so had their own competitions, contested in traditional costumes, such as mud-fighting, greased pole climbing and spear-throwing.

s: various internet inc olympic.org

One thing mentioned in this history blog refers to Ota Benga, a pygmy competitor who was later put in the monkey house at Bronx Zoo. He seems to definitely have existed, and have spent time in the zoo, but I can't nail down whether or not he was an olympian.

MatC
150900.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote

E for Ethnic minorities?

Flash
150995.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Actually we did touch on the Anthropology Days once before, in the episode which covered the Marathon winner who went part of the way by car - Series 3, TX4 (Cheating)
Quote:

Now, I have absolute faith in your honesty gentlemen, but by coincidence, the first question does happen to be about cheating. The 1904 Olympic Games were held in St Louis, Missouri, and they were notable for a number of bizarre events, including something called “Anthropology Days”, where so-called “uncivilised tribes”, such as pygmies and Sioux Indians held mud fights and tug-of-wars against each other in tribal costume.

The Marathon, however, which featured the first Africans ever to compete in the Olympics, was equally remarkable. Two of the first four men to cross the line were disqualified because they’d been poisoned. Huh! And the winner himself was disqualified, but I want to know why the winner was disqualified.

eggshaped
151031.  Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote

Well hush my mouth.

Bunter
151037.  Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote

This reminds me...we simply must get all the former scripts cut and pasted into a private forum so we can check them.

Flash - are you up to the challenge? No hurry for it to happen...but it would be a great ongoing project.

Flash
151065.  Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote

No, and I'm afraid that if you mean into a private forum on this talkboard then I still disagree with you - it isn't a suitable format to accommodate long documents. I'll send them as Word files to anyone who wants them, though.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next