View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic poetry

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dr.bob
146387.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:16 am Reply with quote

A quick squint at Wikipedia has only turned up two. Charles Downing Lay (USA) who won a silver medal for Town Planning in the 1936 olympics:

Not looking terribly olympian there. A better photo is of Alfréd Hajós:

He's one of only two men to have won medals both for sport and art. In the very first olympics in 1896 he won two gold medals for swimming (presumably when the photo was taken). Then, 28 years later in the 1924 Paris olympics, he won silver in architecture along with fellow hungarian Dezső Lauber for their design of Budapest Swimming Stadium (another competition where there was no gold medal awarded)

Bunter
146400.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

Good work Bob.

This is a useful tool as well. I think all of the British winners are dead sadly. It would have been nice to have wheeled one onto set.

http://www.databaseolympics.com/sport/sportpage.htm?sp=ART

eggshaped
146408.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

Yeah, shame, we could have stolen "Feel the Sportsman" off TTIAO. Don't suppose we can do "feel the cadaver".

MatC
146413.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote

That first photo would be absolutely perfect, Bob! Was it taken at roughly the same age that he won the medal? If so, nobody is ever going to guess his event.

eggshaped
146415.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

Quote:
He's one of only two men to have won medals both for sport and art. In the very first olympics in 1896 he won two gold medals for swimming (presumably when the photo was taken).

This is going to sound terribly anal, but the winners of olympic events in 1896 didn't win gold medals, but silver medals, an olive wreath and a diploma. [/pedant]

dr.bob
146418.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Was it taken at roughly the same age that he won the medal? If so, nobody is ever going to guess his event.

Sadly there's no indication of his age when the photo was taken. However, he would have been 59 when he won his medal, so it doesn't look as though it's too far off.

dr.bob
146421.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
This is going to sound terribly anal

Surely not! ;-)

eggshaped wrote:
but the winners of olympic events in 1896 didn't win gold medals, but silver medals, an olive wreath and a diploma. [/pedant]

I didn't know that. So what did the second place people win? Did they just get a silver medal without a diploma?

According to Bunter's website of olympic facts, Alfréd Hajós is down as winning "gold":

http://www.databaseolympics.com/country/countryyear.htm?g=1&cty=HUN

Though I guess they might just be using that to mean he came first without having to explain about the different way things were done back then.

eggshaped
146422.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote

The 1936 games were the first to incorperate an olympic flame relay, they were also the first to be televised - twenty-five big screens were erected throughout Berlin. They were famous for the four gold medals won by Jesse Owens, and for America's Marjorie Gestring, at 13 still the youngest ever female winner of a gold medal.

What did this man:

win a silver medal for?

eggshaped
146427.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

prize source

Quote:

Athens 1896:
First place winners were awarded a silver medal, an olive branch and a diploma. Those in second place were given a copper medal, a branch of laurel and a diploma.

I think third place got bugger-all.

We talked about this when we were posting questions for the interactive dvd.

post 21126

Last edited by eggshaped on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
146428.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote

I just noticed, that youngest ever female gold-winner is called Marjorie G-string. Brilliant.

How are we going to shoe-horn this into "E" if we want it pre-GI?

MatC
146436.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote

E for Effort?

dr.bob
146462.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote

Excellence in sport? (for the loosest possible definition of sport)

Esoteric events?

Endeavours?

Since he won the medal for town planning, might it come under the loose heading of "Erections"?

eggshaped
146463.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Since he won the medal for town planning, might it come under the loose heading of "Erections"?

I think we have a winner. Hand that man a diploma.

dr.bob
146464.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote

Stuff the diploma, where's my olive branch?!

Bunter
146466.  Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote

It would be good in an 'Eccentrics' show. Otherwise, it's a great display of 'Excellence', 'Endeavours', or...most obviously..."Events"

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next