View previous topic | View next topic

Excrement

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dr.bob
151812.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote

Sorry.

Perhaps I should've waited until lunchtime ;-)

Frederick The Monk
151813.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote

I think we did the fulling business in the C series with the question "Why does the House of Lords smell fainjtly of urine?". See here.

Having once been unfortunate to take the lid off a vat that contained week-old urine being 'matured' for a Tudor fulling experiment I can confirm that it's not a job a sane person would take.

Last edited by Frederick The Monk on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
153346.  Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Why is there a black dot in the middle of otherwise white bird droppings?

The black dot is the actual faecal matter. The white stuff is urine. The urine and faecal matter of birds are expelled simultaneously out of the same orifice. Because the urine is sticky, it clings around the faeces, which sits in the middle of them rather like the yolk in the middle of an egg.

Source: Why do clocks run clockwise, and other imponderables: Mysteries of everyday life explained by David Feldman.

Jenny
153348.  Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote

A study carried out by a student teacher at Bristol University found that birds were more likely to leave droppings on white cars and less likely to leave them on navy and black cars.

Dr Derek Toomer, an ornithologist, said that birds respond to colours, and that they might associate white cars with predators.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1443976.html

eggshaped
153496.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote

95% of Britons admit to urinating, vomiting or defecating in public because there were no toilets available near by.

80% of women ‘hover’ over the seat when using local lavs because they don’t think they are clean enough to use.

Typically the ratio of toilets in town centres is 70:30 – in favour of men.

Over 30% of councils have a major problem with human fluids hitting their town and city centre streets. Puke, poo and pee are faced on a daily basis by the street cleaners handed the dirty deed to wipe it away.

ENCAMS - Keep Britain Tidy

Flash
153499.  Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote

I don't think this is really usable, but it's almost Gen Ig if true: I recall being taught in O level Biology that faeces aren't technically excrement because they never form part of the organism from which they come - they were just passing through, so to speak. Whereas urine and sweat and various other things are actually produced by physiological processes.

eggshaped
165642.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS JUST ABOUT THE GROSSEST THING I'VE EVER POSTED ON THIS (or any) WEBSITE

People who suffer from clostridium difficile colitis occasionally develop a strain which is resistant to normal procedures. Using antibiotics kills off very important bacteria in the colon which makes the body unable to fight the infection.

Fortunately there is a novel new treatment, effectively a poo-transplant. The doctor will take the poo from a healthy volunteer (generally a loved-one), put it in a blender with water and create an extract which is fed into the body through the nose or mouth.

Here is an article from the Washington Post in which a reporter interviews the brilliantly named Dr Johannes Aas, who has written a paper on the topic. Interesting is the fact that the doctor claims that excrement is an organ of the body, and his turn of phrase - referring to bacteria as "colonic flora".

Gray
165673.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote

The proximity of that article's date to April 1, coupled with the name of the doctor makes this a little hard to, er, stomach...

Still, it probably would work quite well. I don't think Dr. Aas's use of the word 'organ' is generally accepted, though. An organ needs to have a permanent structure in the body, so the gut is an organ, together with its symbiotic bacteria colonies, but not the stuff it creates.

Last edited by Gray on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

eggshaped
165675.  Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote

I thought that, but I googled the guy's name and he certainly exists.

Molly Cule
167211.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

Skatole, the chemical producing the primary odour note in human faeces, is a valuable addition at lower concentrations to the taste of vanilla ice-cream.

http://www.ffnmag.com/NH/ASP/strArticleID/272/strSite/FFNSite/articleDisplay.asp

Molly Cule
167221.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote

The streets under Paris are an exact replica of those above, the sewers are a mirror image of the streets above.

Every corner within the sewers has a street sign on it that mirrors the one on the surface. Where a wide boulevard runs on the surface, a wide sewer tunnel (or two) runs beneath; smaller streets have smaller sewers, and even side streets and alleys are duplicated underground. In all, there are about 1,300 miles (2,100km) of sewer tunnels underneath Paris.
http://itotd.com/articles/432/paris-sewers/

I have photos of the signs inside the sewers and the same sign above on the street.

picture researchers

Molly Cule
167229.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote

How would you flush the sewers of Paris ?

With giant balls and a five-ton "flushing boat" . You would also use ‘Machine Guns’ to blow the sand out of the sewers.

Flushing boats are used to navigate through the large sewer tunnels to clean and do maintenance work. For smaller pipes and tunnels they use huge balls, some are about 10 foot in diameter. The balls are hollow and float on the sewerage, they are slightly smaller than the tunnels they float in. You put one at the mouth of the tunnel, flush the tunnel with water, and the ball floats along, scraping the sides of the tunnel as it goes.

I took some photos of these. But here is one from google images...

Picture researchers.

Molly Cule
167231.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote

From 1920-1975 Parisians could sail down the sewers in a punt, they sailed from la Madeleine to Place de la Concorde on the last Thursday and Saturday of every month.

Between 1892-1920 on the last Saturday of every month sewer visits were made in a locomotive drawn wagon in Sebastopol sewer.

What question did you want to put here Flash? Something about being caught up shit creek....

(Flash says: the line I was suggesting was something about where Parisians find themselves without a paddle)

Picture researchers
this relies a lot on getting hold of the photos which are inside the sewer museum in Paris, I have postcard of tourists in the wagon, I think the boat one would be good to use for the show.

Molly Cule
167232.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote

Out of all the water on earth only 3% of it is fresh water.

You need 300 litres of water to make a newspaper and 80 litres for 1 kg of sugar.

You can get into the sewers from any one of the 26,000 inspection covers on the pavements of Paris which you will come across every 50m.

Sewer working has become a tradition passed on from father to son, the workers there are called the ‘Keepers of the Environment.’

More than 50 films and short films are made along the river Seine each year.

Sir Richard Wallace, UK guy put 50 drinking fountains in Paris. They had white iron cups with them on a chain until 1952 when they were said to be unhygienic.

eggshaped
167235.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

"Who dung it?" game. Can you match the coprolites with the species?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next