View previous topic | View next topic

sheep on the ark again

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dr.bob
604250.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
I thought there were 7 sheep on Noah's Ark as they were classed as clean beasts.

'Fraid not.

In Genesis 6:19-20, God quite clearly tells Noah:
God wrote:
And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Although, by the time of Genesis 7:2-3 he seems to have changed his mind:
God wrote:
Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

However, Noah doesn't seem to have received this latest email, as he obviously stuck with his original instructions, as can be seen in Genesis 7:8-9:

The Bible wrote:
Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah originally before he'd met with some lobbyists for the "clean beasts" and "fowls of the air" interest groups who's persuaded him to change his plans at the last minute.

suze
604273.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote

What's more, does "by sevens" means seven pairs (i.e. fourteen animals) rather than seven creatures?

After all, if everything is be in pairs consisting of the male and his female, how would you arrive at seven animals?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
604406.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Oh well another misunderstanding by me eh!

Pyriform
604437.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote

For Roman Catholics the standard translation is the Jerusalem Bible, which says:
Quote:
Of every clean animal you must take seven pairs, a male and its female; of the unclean animals you must take one pair, a male and its female

but it used to be the Douay-Rheims Bible, which has:
Quote:
Of all clean beasts take seven and seven, the male and the female. But of the beasts that are unclean two and two, the male and the female.

So four of each unclean animal - just in case one animal dies, perhaps.

suze
604438.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Pyriform - the notion that the numbers were meant to be understood as pairs seemed vaguely familiar when I wrote the post, but tbh I lacked the energy to try and find it in The Bible!

Peregrine Arkwright
604445.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Obviously God never went in much for genetic diversity, then.

PA

Peregrine Arkwright
604447.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote

That said, the paleogeneticists now seem to believe all humanity is descended from one small tribe of proto-humans wandering around Africa. Just a few families.

So if they didn't mate with Neanderthals, where did today's biodiversity of the human race originate?

PA

Davini994
604455.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Dr Alice Roberts told me that white people in Northerly latitudes became white in order to absorb sufficient vitamin D.

BoAI says that chimps have much greater diversity from us being such a small population at one time.

I recall reading comparisons between diversity in African tribes versus rather larger populations elsewhere with the (un)surprising result. But I can't find them here.

Pyriform
604467.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:

That said, the paleogeneticists now seem to believe all humanity is descended from one small tribe of proto-humans wandering around Africa. Just a few families.

So if they didn't mate with Neanderthals, where did today's biodiversity of the human race originate?

PA

Don't we all have a lot of built in biodiversity in the form of (recessive?) genes which are hanging around in our DNA and just need to be activated somehow?

Pyriform
604472.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote

It might have been asked before, but why did God spend all that time on the flood (it rained for forty days and nights, and "the waters prevailed upon the earth a hundred and fifty days"), when it would take him only 6 days to create another world?

Davini994
604484.  Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Maybe he worked for Apple.

dr.bob
604630.  Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote

Pyriform wrote:
It might have been asked before, but why did God spend all that time on the flood (it rained for forty days and nights, and "the waters prevailed upon the earth a hundred and fifty days"), when it would take him only 6 days to create another world?

If he destroyed the entire world and created another one, he wouldn't have saved Noah like he did in the flood.

Presumably the flood lasted such a long time because he wanted to rid the world of all living creatures and he was having a hell of a time drowning the fish.

Jenny
604730.  Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised that some of the fish didn't die anyway though. Didn't the rising waters that overwhelmed the land allow the sea to contaminate all the rivers? If it did, the freshwater fish would have died wouldn't they?

Pyriform
604772.  Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
If he destroyed the entire world and created another one, he wouldn't have saved Noah like he did in the flood.

Well, obviously he'd have to have created the new world first and then moved the Noah family in.
(I can't believe I'm arguing about this!)

CB27
604850.  Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Considering one sheep was sold for nearly a quarter of a million pounds recently I think maybe we should lay the fault of the recession at God's feet?

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next