View previous topic | View next topic

E for Effort

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

grizzly
145438.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote

As a side note, I think it should be clear that different subjects require different methods of marking. Essay based subjects like History or English need greater consideration as to how work is marked than Maths or Science subjects where answers are often either right or wrong.

smiley_face
145589.  Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
As a side note, I think it should be clear that different subjects require different methods of marking. Essay based subjects like History or English need greater consideration as to how work is marked than Maths or Science subjects where answers are often either right or wrong.

You'd be very surprised how important exam technique and answer structure is in sciences. I did a mock Chemistry paper a few weeks back, and have just worked out* that, in a paper out of 75 marks in total, I had lost 13 marks because although I knew the answer, I hadn't written it down the "right" way.

*Yes, I know it's sad, but it proves a point!

The Luggage
145812.  Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote

I don't have a clue what you are all on about because I never went to school in Britain. In France, everything was marked out of 20, with 15/20 being a pass. In the US, everything was marked out of 100, with A=90-100, B=80-89, C=70-79, D=60-69, and everything below 60 was a fail.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2