View previous topic | View next topic

Check Before you Post

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Gaazy
144144.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote

Might it be a good idea to add to the sticky post on using the forums some advice for the poster to run a keyword through the QI site search engine?

With so many people now using the forums, we're getting a heck of a lot of duplication, what with posters eagerly supplying information that's already been gone over many times before - I'm moved to write this by yet another airing of the wax tadpole story.

P.S. I did run a check that this advice hadn't been offered before!

boiledpotato
144213.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote

Sounds good. I made the mistake yesterday - for which I apologize, everyone - of pointing out the 'no Welsh word for blue' mistake that has apparently been covered before.

I agree.

Gray
144741.  Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote

I've thought of doing just that, but the problem is that if people are not of a mind to search first, then they are probably similarly reluctant to look inside a post called 'How to Use the Forums', or take any advice that might be offered.

That, coupled with the general rubbishness of the search function in this forum softrware, makes it a bit difficult for new people to know whether something has already been discussed, or care.

grizzly
144758.  Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote

How about you put a short message at the top of the "post new topic" page reminding people to check the forum first.

Gray
144761.  Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote

Yes, that's probably a good idea, although I'm now reluctant to put any more bespoke changes into the forum software because when (ahahah!) we upgrade it, they'll all disappear again.

I think if people don't bother to search, which, IMO, is a pretty obvious thing to do, they won't bother whatever it says anywhere.

grizzly
144770.  Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote

True, but new users don't understand the principle of searching the forums and the majority of our repeats are people who turn up for the first ocassion to post the single thing and get an answer.

I BTW did do a search before I made my first post and found that the subject in question was already being discussed. Hence why my first post was not to start a new thread (which is what most new users do).

I did this IIRC because I read it in the Using the QI forums somewhere (I was one of the few people to do so).

Gray
145024.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote

I'd have thought web forums were now so commonplace that people know how to use them. But like FAQs, it takes lots of time to find your particular quibble, but hardly any time to just post a question.

However, I'll make this thread 'sticky' so that people can read this and get the general idea. :-)

violetriga
145027.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote

Personally I don't think the duplication is at a point of being problematic. New members who start a new thread about something we've spoken about before will either reignite discussion or simply be pointed in the direction of the original. This encourages them to participate, while asking them to search first may discourage them from joining in.

Gaazy
145040.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

OK, how about a sticky post listing the most common 'did you know' canards?

Something along the lines of 'the following subjects are often brought up by new contributors, and have already been dealt with to death in the QI forums: jumping elephants, biting wax tadpoles, the origin of the words shit, posh, golf and a host of others, echoing ducks' quacks, negative calories of celery, direction of bats' flight out of a cave,.......' - that sort of thing.

violetriga
145047.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Quaintly Ignorant
145058.  Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote

It is something that really has to be accepted in a public forum like this. However:

Gaazy wrote:
OK, how about a sticky post listing the most common 'did you know' canards?

Something along the lines of 'the following subjects are often brought up by new contributors, and have already been dealt with to death in the QI forums: jumping elephants, biting wax tadpoles, the origin of the words shit, posh, golf and a host of others, echoing ducks' quacks, negative calories of celery, direction of bats' flight out of a cave,.......' - that sort of thing.

That *is* a good idea.

Fontanelle
248745.  Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote

Is it at all possible to add a 'search only in thread titles' option?

Everytime I search something I get gazillion results, and the above might help at narrowing it down a little.

Tas
248786.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote

Don't forget to add Cruithne!!!!

:-)

Tas

mathewhadley
404336.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote

If you absolutely need to examine such a claim in detail, it is almost useless to analyse one of the 'scientific papers' that these vile creatures produce for statistical flaws - they are much too cunning to make mistakes like that. However, here are a few more subtle techniques to instill a decent respectable doubt in your audience. Remember - you only need to introduce doubt in your audience, nobody is going to actually test anything you say provided you sound vaguely plausible.
---------------------
mathew

Neotenic
404337.  Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember - you only need to introduce doubt in your audience, nobody is going to actually test anything you say provided you sound vaguely plausible.

I can not even begin to tell you just how wrong you are.

Sorry.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next