View previous topic | View next topic

WALES/CYMRU

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

ellylles
870323.  Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote

Nigelblt wrote:
defenestrator wrote:
I have heard that it (Blanau Ffestiniog) also holds some less impresisve statistics.

If you look at a map of the Snowdonia National Park there is a hole(sic) in the middle which is Blanau Ffestiniog and the surrounding slate mining waste heaps. Almost certainly not an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Blaenau Ffestiniog was deliberately left out when Snowdonia National Park boundaries were drawn up in 1951 because of its then thriving quarrying industry. It was policy at the time not to include developed urban and industrial areas. Nothing to do with asthetics - yes there is slate waste, but there are certainly also outstandingly beautiful areas - Cwmorthin for one is in the so-called 'hole' yet is absolutely stunning.

Zebra57
870448.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote

While Blaenau Ffestiniog was left out of Snowdonia National Park, the Dinorwic Quarries were included (in Llanberis). In the Peak District many limestone quarries ended up within the national park.

I read that there are proposals to reduce the slate waste tips by processing the waste for use in road construction etc.

ellylles
870458.  Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote

The mining at Blaenau was still going strong when the Park boundaries were being set, however the mining at Dinorwic was already in decline as the slate had become too difficult and expensive to extract. Also the urban development around Dinorwic was not as great as that in Blaenau. I would imagine that those responsible for setting the Park boundaries took all that into consideration.

I can't comment on the situation in the Peak District NP, as I haven't looked into the details. I just wanted to explode the myth about the 'hole' in the Snowdonia NP being attributed to Ffestiniog's alleged lack of beauty.

There have been proposals for reducing the slate waste for some time, although by now there are some objectors because many of the old waste heaps are havens for rare flora and fauna.

Currently, the people of Blaenau are in talks with the Park Authority to try and get the area accepted into the Park thus 'closing the hole'.

japhes
1046592.  Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Wales has two longest place names in the world and Llanfairpwll pg is the 2nd in wales and 4th in the world

Type of top ten
Top Ten longest place names in the world.
Introduction
Have you ever watched foreign language films with subtitles and noticed that they seem, sometimes, to be speaking for about a minute on something we could say in 5 seconds? Here might be an explanation...
Contributor
editor@theVoiceofReason.com
http://www.thevoiceofreason.com/TopTenLaughs/OneSite/TenLongestPlaceNames.htm

Krung thep mahanakhon bovorn ratanakosin mahintharayutthaya mahadilok pop noparatratchathani burirom udomratchanivetmahasathan amornpiman avatarnsathit sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit
(Bangkok, Thailand)
(167 letters)
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki-maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
(Maori name of a hill in New Zealand. Translation: "The place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed, and swallowed mountains, known as Land-eater, played on the flute to his loved one"
(85 letters)
Gorsafawddachaidraigddanheddogleddoll˘npenrhynareur-draethceredigion
Gwynedd, North Wales. Translation: "The Mawddach station and its dragon teeth at the Northern Penrhyn Road on the golden beach of Cardigan Bay".
(67 letters)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Gwynedd, North Wales. Translation: "St Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of the church of St. Tysilo near the Red Cave".
(58 letters)

japhes
1046597.  Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote

3. Two consonants, 'n' and 'r', are sometimes doubled in written Welsh, e.g., "tynnu," "torri." Note that 'dd,' 'ff' and 'll' are not doubled, but are consonants in their own right.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
drobwllllan; ll seem to be doubled here, as Trobwll and llan the t had gone under soft mutation.
Yr Wyddor Gymraeg/The Welsh Alphabet
http://www.madog.org/dysgwyr/gramadeg/gramadeg1.htmlpost japhes

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3