View previous topic | View next topic

Names for things you didnt realise had names.............

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

betterthantoday
1272921.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Stillicide - Roman, civil, & Scots law : the servitude of eavesdrop binding a servient tenement to receive from the dominant tenement rainwater from the eaves of a building located on the latter.

Like that definition too, also the use of servient.

I don't know why I've always overlooked this bit in the OED - 'The dropping of rain-water from the eaves of a house upon another's land or roof; the right or the servitude relating to this'.

Presumably at some point there was a legal debacle that warranted this (which I'd love to find an example of) - god forbid water should drop on someone else's land!

EDIT: A book called 'Principles of the Law of Scotland' suggests that the 'collected water [from stillicide is] (called 'flumen', technically)'. Flumen is a brilliant word.

crissdee
1272934.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
'yorz wrote:
Very odd layout all of a sudden. Posters' names are bold blue, and the dividing line between them is nigh invisible, rendering the whole page really confusing.
Is it just me/my screen?

Seems to be a trailing tag left by one poster. I've fixed it now, though I'm surprised that it had such a major effect on all subsequent posts :-S

Still there on page 6.

Efros
1272935.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote

God that hurts my eyes. Perhaps a forum trim is in order.

'yorz
1272944.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote

It seems to have moved from page 7 to page 6.
IIRC it started with the resurrection post by duglas.

Bondee
1272954.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote

The first dodgy post as I see it is one of suze's (post 232130). Could it be something to do with all of the DELETED posts?

'yorz
1272956.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote

Dunno - how could that technically upset the applecart? Interesting. *waiting for dr.bob to explain*

DVD Smith
1272974.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote

Found this great article that lists a whole bunch - some more dubious than others but still a couple worth sharing.

The Michelin Man's real name is "Bibendum" from the Latin Nunc est bibendum ("drink up"), because he used to be a brewery mascot, holding a giant glass of beer. When he became a tyre mascot he was still shown drinking a glass, but this time filled with broken glass and nails, because apparently "the Michelin tyre drinks up road obstacles". [1]

The bird that forms the Twitter logo is named Larry, after basketball player Larry Bird. [2]

The real name of the Fat Controller from the Thomas the Tank Engine series is "Sir Topham Hat". Although that could be a QI klaxon, because in the actual Thomas the Tank Engine book, he's known as the Fat Director, and doesn't get called the Fat Controller until the next book in the series. [3] (Mentioned previously on the boards here.)

And my favourite of all, the full name of Yoshi from the Super Mario games is "T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas". [4]

dr.bob
1273018.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Dunno - how could that technically upset the applecart? Interesting. *waiting for dr.bob to explain*

Not sure what was causing it, but it seemed a bit of malformed posting, that was then quoted by other people. I had to tidy it up in a few places.

But it seems to be fixed now (famous last words!)

'yorz
1273020.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote

Bravo, dr.bob! Looks spiffing!

Bondee
1273033.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote

Looks good from my end (don't!) too.

Thanks dr.b!

Feralcat
1278743.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Jumper"]I like the Maori name for car aerial..... "Kotanga"[/quote]

Did you put this in as a joke?

I suppose I should have read on to see if anyone called you on it.

But you did make me smile

tetsabb
1278763.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote

@Feralcat -- Jumper is a nice chap who has not posted here for quite a while, sadly. But he lives in Christchurch, NZ, IIRC, so may well be right.
That is quite funny!

jaygeemack
1279290.  Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote

This is from a recent letter in the Times:

"From time to time the debate is reopened regarding the value of teaching the Gaelic language. I have just come to hear of a collection of Gaelic words collected by Father Allan McDonald on the islands of Eriskay and South Uist at the end of the 19th century. Within that collection is romhan. How can one dismiss a language that has a special word for the choking groan made by a cow with a potato in its throat?"

betterthantoday
1282783.  Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote

On the typical shape of a castle - the square-gap-square-gap design - the gaps are called 'crenels', 'crenelles' or 'crenellations' and the squares are called 'merlons'. (I think).

Baryonyx
1282786.  Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote

I've heard the different coloured felty bits under the collar of a suit is called a 'melton'. Anyone else confirm this?

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next