View previous topic | View next topic

Names for things you didnt realise had names.............

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

WizardofAus
143684.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Today I discovered that the metal or plastic tag on the end of your shoelaces is called an "aglet"

The cup holder used for a paper coffee cup is a zarf

Which led me to wondering......why don't the plastic clips used on bread bags in the world outside the UK have a proper name? They are called "bread clips", and were invented by the kwik-lok corporation in the 50's, but why no interesting name?

djgordy
143691.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote

A little boy is looking up at the stars. "Daddy", he says, "How do we know how far away the stars are?" So his Dad tells him all about parallax and red shift and all that. So the little boy thinks for a moment longer and says "Daddy, how do we know what they're called?".

Jumper
143799.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote

I like the Maori name for car aerial..... "Kotanga"

ikkan
143821.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote

In Italian they have a word for 'pride for your city of birth', campanilismo. It derives from campanile, 'bell tower.'

Cal
143830.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote

The name for the cardboard tube inside toilet roll is a du-du (because when the toilet roll is finished people use the cardboard tube by putting it up to their lips and say "Duuuu-duuu" through it!!!!!)

morrisman
143832.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Karoshi - Japanese for "death from overwork"

Kingbarney
143835.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Egyptology-Archeology of ancient Egyptian artifacts. As far I know this type of work is unique within Archeological study.

Kingbarney
143836.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote

The social sciences provides lots of examples of "Names for things you didnt realise had names.............". My favorite one is Ethnomethodology- is a sociological discipline which focuses on the ways in which people make sense of their world, display this understanding to others, and produce the mutually shared social order in which they live. The term was initially coined by Harold Garfinkel in the 1960s....according to wiki See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomethodology

Sand
143927.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote

Jumper wrote:
I like the Maori name for car aerial..... "Kotanga"

Somewhat similar the old UK word for it then. Or maybe I've seen too many replaced by actual coat hangers in bygone days.

CosmicWaffles
143932.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote

The little dot over the i is a tittle.

violetriga
143947.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote

ikkan wrote:
In Italian they have a word for 'pride for your city of birth', campanilismo. It derives from campanile, 'bell tower.'

...and of course there is campanology.

austinallegro
143982.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote

WizardofAus wrote:
Today I discovered that the metal or plastic tag on the end of your shoelaces is called an "aglet"

That reminds of a quote from a film:

What does the name 'Aglet' mean anyway?

Well a long time ago 'Aglet' meant 'He who puts those tiny little plastic things on shoelaces' you see a long time a go a mans' name was his profession

Oh so a man named Fred Carpenter would build houses and John Baker would make bread

Exactly

So what did John Hancock do?

eggshaped
143983.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote

The word aglet is an anglification of the french word aguillette which means "little needle" and describes anything small and needle-like.

Moreover tittles are any small marks in punctuation, not just the dot over an i.

The sad thing is when perfectly good, useful, words end up obsolete. I would like to begin the campaign to ressurrect the word "Curglaff" meaning the shock felt when first plunging into a cold bath.

darkscull
144012.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote

austinallegro wrote:

That reminds of a quote from a film:

What does the name 'Aglet' mean anyway?

Well a long time ago 'Aglet' meant 'He who puts those tiny little plastic things on shoelaces' you see a long time a go a mans' name was his profession

Oh so a man named Fred Carpenter would build houses and John Baker would make bread

Exactly

So what did John Hancock do?

that last bit almost made me spray coke all over the laptop... what film is that?

on topic: the little bits of paper (or other things) left after hole-punching are chads... although that seems to be commoner knowledge than you'd think.

eggshaped
144019.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote

Or didcots of course. The term "chad" was ubiquitous during the last presidential election.

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next